Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Grayed Out Columns

I have a sheet that was generated by the "export" function of a VB program.
I do not have access to that program's code. My worksheet ends at column N.
There are no columns to the right, which is all grayed out. I selected the
entire sheet and chose "Unhide" to no avail. The sheet is not protected. Is
there a way to reveal the remaining columns? The one workaround I have is
inserting columns before "N" and then moving it back into place. I'm just
wondering if there's a right way to do it. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have seen spreadsheets that were generated by reporting software
(payroll, I believe) that only had the number of columns that the
software was exporting - if that's the case, then they are not hidden
at all. This may be a worksheet that has been limited in width during
the export; it would still have a capacity of a standard spreadsheet,
but would require that more columns be added (as you've done). You
could write a macro that added more columns if you needed a certain
number.

Does it always stop with N? What software is generating the document?

On Jan 16, 1:52 pm, Dorci wrote:
I have a sheet that was generated by the "export" function of a VB program.
I do not have access to that program's code. My worksheet ends at column N.
There are no columns to the right, which is all grayed out. I selected the
entire sheet and chose "Unhide" to no avail. The sheet is not protected. Is
there a way to reveal the remaining columns? The one workaround I have is
inserting columns before "N" and then moving it back into place. I'm just
wondering if there's a right way to do it. Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Edit|goto
type: o1:iv1
then
Format|column|unhide
or
format|column|Width and make it non-zero

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

An Excel worksheet has the standard default number of columns and rows.

You cannot change this number.

If you have seen worksheets with "only the number of columns the software was
exporting" then the others were hidden or set to a very tiny width or the
scrollarea was set to disallow scrolling over to see them.

They were there somewhere.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP