Ted Metro

Default Counting differences in numbers across columns

I think this is probably pretty easy.

I have a table here is the first row (starting at a1), with numbers in
individual columns

A B c d e
1624 1433 1546 1244 1287
The columns represent years with A being the current year. I want to count
how many years improved upon the previous year. The answer is two, C is
greater than D, and A is greater than B. Of course units went down from E to
D and again from C to B. How do I write a formula that can analyze the four
relationships across the five years and count how many times units went down
from one year to the immediately following year?

Jason Morin

One way:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:D1B1:E1))

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I have a table here is the first row (starting at a1),

with numbers in
individual columns

A B c

d e
1624 1433 1546

1244 1287
The columns represent years with A being the current

year. I want to count
how many years improved upon the previous year. The

answer is two, C is
greater than D, and A is greater than B. Of course

units went down from E to
D and again from C to B. How do I write a formula that

can analyze the four
relationships across the five years and count how many

times units went down
from one year to the immediately following year?

.

Ted Metro

Thanks Jason, that worked great, I just needed change the '' to a '<'.

Big help!!

"Jason Morin" wrote:

One way:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:D1B1:E1))