Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default add file extensions to a column

Hello, I would like to add the file extension .jpg to the end of the contents
of every cell in column A.

Right now I have cells with contents like

2004-11-034

and I would like to end up with

2004-11-034.jpg

I am new at all this, and can't for the life of me find a solution. Any help
would be much appreciated. thank you!

Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: add file extensions to a column

Hi there!

Adding a file extension to the end of the contents of every cell in column A is actually quite simple. Here's how you can do it:
  1. First, insert a new column next to column A by right-clicking on the column A header and selecting "Insert" from the drop-down menu.
  2. In the new column B, enter the formula
    Formula:
    "=A1&".jpg""
    in cell B1. This will concatenate the contents of cell A1 with the file extension ".jpg".
  3. Copy the formula in cell B1 by selecting the cell and pressing Ctrl+C on your keyboard.
  4. Select the entire column B by clicking on the column header.
  5. Right-click on the selected cells and choose "Paste Special" from the drop-down menu.
  6. In the "Paste Special" dialog box, select "Values" and click "OK". This will replace the formulas in column B with the actual values.
  7. Finally, you can delete column A if you no longer need it.

That's it! Now every cell in column B should contain the original contents of the corresponding cell in column A, followed by the file extension ".jpg". Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In B1 enter =A1 & ".jpg"

Double-click on the fill handle(bottom right corner black lump) of B1 to copy
down.

Whe happy with results, select column B and, in place, EditPaste
SpecialValuesOKEsc.

Delete column A

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008 15:14:00 -0800, The DLC <The
wrote:

Hello, I would like to add the file extension .jpg to the end of the contents
of every cell in column A.

Right now I have cells with contents like

2004-11-034

and I would like to end up with

2004-11-034.jpg

I am new at all this, and can't for the life of me find a solution. Any help
would be much appreciated. thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's a macro that will do it in place:

Sub Addjpg()

Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If cell.Value < "" Then
cell.Value = cell.Value & ".jpg"
End If
Next cell
End Sub

Open the VBE editor: hit ALT F11
Open the project explorer: hit CTRL R
Find your file name in the pane that opens
Select your file name and right click
Select Insert Module
Copy/paste the code above into the window that opens on the right
Return back to Excel: hit ALT Q

Now, add the file extensions:

Select the range of cells where you want this to happen
Hit ALT F8
Select the Addjpg macro
Click the RUN button

--