Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can I VLOOKUP in 7 different worksheets in 1 formula?

I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's details across 7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on sheet 1, it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part with the next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do your 7 sheet names follow some sort of sequential pattern like Week1,
Week2, Week3?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"keithobro" wrote in message
I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's details across
7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on sheet 1, it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part with the
next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Each sheet represents a different interview location

I guess that means the answer to my question is no?

Why?

The information you provide will determine what kind of suggestions you'll
get.

Make a list of your sheet names and give this list a defined name:

B1:B7 = list of sheet names = defined name WSList

A1 = lookup value

Try this array formula** :

=VLOOKUP(A1,INDIRECT("'"&INDEX(WSList,MATCH(TRUE,C OUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&WSList&"'!B1:B7"),A1)0,0))&"' !A:B"),2,0)

Assumes the table_array on each sheet is in the range A:B.

CTRL,SHIFT,ENTER (not just ENTER)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"keithobro" wrote in message
I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's details
across
7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on sheet 1,
it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part with the
next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Correction: I used the wrong range in the COUNTIF function. Should be:

=VLOOKUP(A1,INDIRECT("'"&INDEX(WSList,MATCH(TRUE,C OUNTIF(INDIRECT("'"&WSList&"'!A:A"),A1)0,0))&"'!A :B"),2,0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"keithobro" wrote in message
I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's details
across
7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on sheet 1,
it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part with
the
next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Many thanks Biff:

I think I understand. Will try it out when I get to work today.

If i understand correctly, my first task is to list the sheet names, but
where should I put this?

Keith

"keithobro" wrote in message
I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's details
across
7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on sheet 1,
it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part with
the
next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can put things wherever you want them. The ranges/references I used are
just for demonstration purposes.

Suppose your lookup_value was in cell A1. Typically, you'd want the result
of the lookup formula next to the lookup_value so you would probably enter
the lookup formula in cell B1. You can put the list of sheet names anywhere.
If you're using this on some sort of form or report then you'd probably want
the list of sheet names outside of the report or form.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"keithobro" wrote in message
I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's details
across
7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on sheet
1,
it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part with
the
next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi biff

Afraid I don't really understand.

Let's say my 7 sheets are named on their tabs:
Alt
Bel
Met
Pan
Pet
Swi

How do I start?

Sorry to be so "dim"!

keith

"keithobro" wrote in message
I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's details
across
7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on sheet
1,
it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part with
the
next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here's a small sample that demonstrates this:

vlookup across multiple sheets.xls 20kb

http://cjoint.com/?bqhmgKwUIV

Select an employee name from the drop down in cell A2 on Sheet1.

Lookup the employee's name and return that employee's manager. The
employee's name could be on any of 6 sheets (but will only appear on 1).

Sheet1 B2 returns the employee's manager
Sheet1 C2 returns the sheet name where that employee's info can be found

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"keithobro" wrote in message
I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's
details
across
7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on
sheet
1,
it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part
with
the
next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default vlookup in 20 sheets..

Hi,

I have a similar issue, i have already posted this question but the person
answering my question hadnt done this before so couldnt provide much
guidance, and since you have can you please provide some guidance?

my previous email:

Hi, I have the following 2 formulae and i have been desperately trying

make them work but the dont!

I am looking up the value of column D in 1 worksheet to look across 10/20
different sheets (which are all named) and then return the results as "1,0"
when done into another sheet. So i am just looking up names from column D of
sheet"names" and then looking across 10 sheets, again in the same column - D (dont want it to return anything other than just the name, which will tell me if that is present anywhere witin the 20worksheets.)

These are the formulae i have tried. the 1st works on the sheets being
called sheets 1,2 etc and not being renamed and the 2nd formula allows you to
name the sheets then refer to them seperatly. i would like to use the 2nd as
i all my sheets are named.

=VLOOKUP(B1,INDIRECT("sheet"&MATCH(TRUE,COUNTIF(IN DIRECT("sheet"&ROW(INDIRECT("1:10"))&"!d2:d100"),B 1)0,0)&"!d2:d100"),1,0)

=VLOOKUP(B2,INDIRECT(""&INDEX($A$1:$A$3,MATCH(TRUE ,COUNTIF(INDIRECT(""&$A$1:$A$3&"!d2:d100"),B1)0,0 ))&"!d2:d100"),1,0)

I either get the response N/A or VALUE. i dont know if i have got all the
referenes correct, maybe thats why its not working.

maybe the "d2:d100" is incorrect as i repeat it in the formula, but this is
the range where the lookup should look in.

I hope im making sense.

Thanks for your help.

please help!!

"keithobro" wrote in message
I want to get a master worksheet to check for a candidate's
details
across
7
other worksheets. If the VLOOKUP fails to find that person on
sheet
1,
it
tries sheet 2, then sheet 3 and so on.

can this be done? is it a question of replacing the FALSE part
with
the
next
VLOOKUP formula?

Thanks.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

See my reply to your original post

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have huge data in 16 worksheets. Now I want to create 17 sheet with vlookup

"T. Valko" wrote:

On Monday, January 14, 2008 12:54 PM T. Valko wrote:

You can put things wherever you want them. The ranges/references I used are
just for demonstration purposes.

Suppose your lookup_value was in cell A1. Typically, you'd want the result
of the lookup formula next to the lookup_value so you would probably enter
the lookup formula in cell B1. You can put the list of sheet names anywhere.
If you're using this on some sort of form or report then you'd probably want
the list of sheet names outside of the report or form.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"keithobro" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 15, 2008 1:17 PM keithobr wrote:

Hi biff

Afraid I do not really understand.