Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default "Date Format" v.s. "##/##/####"

Hi everyone,

Is it the same when you type in 01/01/2000 as in a date format AND when you
pick up three different numbers from three different cells and combine them
using & sign? For ex, A1 & "/" &A2 & "/" &A3.

If after combining the three number, will Excel still look at the combined
cell as a "date". I need to do some calculating with the combined cell, and
I want Excel to look at it as a date, let's say I need to calculate the age,
but the birth date need to be hidden. How can I do with this?

Thanks,
GU
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=A1 & "/" &A2 & "/" &A3 will give text, rather than a date, but =--(A1 & "/"
&A2 & "/" &A3) will give a date (if the cell is formatted appropriately).
In some cases, if you try to do calculations based on the cell containing
text, it will translate it to a date in the calculation.
--
David Biddulph

"Neon520" wrote in message
Hi everyone,

Is it the same when you type in 01/01/2000 as in a date format AND when
you
pick up three different numbers from three different cells and combine
them
using & sign? For ex, A1 & "/" &A2 & "/" &A3.

If after combining the three number, will Excel still look at the combined
cell as a "date". I need to do some calculating with the combined cell,
and
I want Excel to look at it as a date, let's say I need to calculate the
age,
but the birth date need to be hidden. How can I do with this?

Thanks,
GU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Yes A1 & "/" &A2 & "/" &A3 will be a date and to demonstrate that add to to
it in another cell and that will be the next day.

For your age follow on with your logic and use this

=DATEDIF(A1 & "/" &A2 & "/" &A3,TODAY(),"y")

Mike

"Neon520" wrote:

Hi everyone,

Is it the same when you type in 01/01/2000 as in a date format AND when you
pick up three different numbers from three different cells and combine them
using & sign? For ex, A1 & "/" &A2 & "/" &A3.

If after combining the three number, will Excel still look at the combined
cell as a "date". I need to do some calculating with the combined cell, and
I want Excel to look at it as a date, let's say I need to calculate the age,
but the birth date need to be hidden. How can I do with this?

Thanks,
GU

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

say A1 has 1
say A2 has 18
say A3 has 2000

=DATE(A3,A1,A2) will display as 1/18/2000 - an Excel-style date
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200765