Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dim dim is offline

Default INDIRECT FUNCTION - I want to freeze reference when inserting rows

Hi folks,

I have a named range from Cell A2 to Cell A101 in a workbook.

This is entered in the Define Name - Refers To box as:

= INDIRECT(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$101)

When I insert rows in row 2, my references steadily change to $A$3:$A$102
then $A$4:$A$103 an so on.

I need my references to stay the same when rows are inserted. IM GOING
INSANE WITH THIS!

Please help!!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Dim,

This is a rather unusual use of INDIRECT but if that's what you want, try
this:

=INDIRECT("Sheet1!$A$1:"&Sheet1!$A$11)

I'm assuming you want the A10 part to become A11, if not
=INDIRECT("Sheet1!$A$1:$A$10")

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"dim" wrote:

Hi folks,

I have a named range from Cell A2 to Cell A101 in a workbook.

This is entered in the Define Name - Refers To box as:

= INDIRECT(Sheet1!$A$2:$A$101)

When I insert rows in row 2, my references steadily change to $A$3:$A$102
then $A$4:$A$103 an so on.

I need my references to stay the same when rows are inserted. IM GOING
INSANE WITH THIS!

Please help!!!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dim dim is offline

Default INDIRECT FUNCTION - I want to freeze reference when inserting

Hi Shane,

Thanks. I'll try that ASAP. I do NOT want any part of it to change. I want
$A$2:$A$101 to stay EXACTLY the same regardless of rows inserted into Row 2.

I dont want particularly to use INDIRECT. I dont care what I use, I just
want the references to STAY THE SAME when rows are inserted!

Thanks, I'll see if that works and get back.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
dim dim is offline

OMG! You did it! :-D Thankyou soooo much. Who would have thought that
quotation marks would make such a difference?....well...obviously you would!
haha. Thanks.