Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need a formula to 'find' word in cells of column from a long list

In a spreadsheet of mostly textual information, one column consists of
multiple names. I need to identify matches against a list of about 300 names.

A less complex example:
The list of names to look for: sam alice helen jim john

Column cells
B1 - kate mark julie thelma
B2 - mike helen anne anson - 1 hit on 'helen'
B3 - jerry kathy sally sam - 1 hit on 'sam'

I need a mechanism to look for names from the list and identify matches by
adding a flag, 'yes', in another column, Z

Match or Find or Search, seem to only identify a single specified string. A
workaround would be to construct the formula and run it individually for each
name. Is that my only option? Which function would be best?

Thanks.