Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SAME RANGE...DIFFERENT FORMULA

Suppose I have a column of numbers, say in A1 through A600...

The =SUM(A1:A600) works perfectly for the sum.

Now, for successive formulas, I wish to use the same cell reference (i.e. A1
- A600), but a different formula, such as:

=STDEV(A1:A600)

Is there a way to use copy and paste, or whatever, to insert the same cell
range into a different formula?

In other words, instead of having to scroll with the mouse or type the
range, is there a more expedient manner in getting the same range into the
new formula?

Thanks,

FLKulchar
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way:

You could name the range (e.g., select the range, then type the name in
the Name box on the Formula bar), then you can use

=SUM(myrange)

=STDEV(myrange)

etc.

In article ,
F. Lawrence Kulchar
wrote:

Suppose I have a column of numbers, say in A1 through A600...

The =SUM(A1:A600) works perfectly for the sum.

Now, for successive formulas, I wish to use the same cell reference (i.e. A1
- A600), but a different formula, such as:

=STDEV(A1:A600)

Is there a way to use copy and paste, or whatever, to insert the same cell
range into a different formula?

In other words, instead of having to scroll with the mouse or type the
range, is there a more expedient manner in getting the same range into the
new formula?

Thanks,

FLKulchar

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Dec 30, 1:50*pm, F. Lawrence Kulchar
wrote:
Suppose I have a column of numbers, say in A1 through A600...
The =SUM(A1:A600) works perfectly for the sum.
Now, for successive formulas, I wish to use the same cell reference
(i.e. A1-A600), but a different formula, such as:
* * *=STDEV(A1:A600)
Is there a way to use copy and paste, or whatever, to insert the same
cell range into a different formula?

As you enter the first formula (or after you select that cell), use
the cursor to select the desired text (in this case, A1:A600) in the
"fx" field in the formula bar and press ctrl+c to copy the text to the
clipboard. (Press Esc to exit edit mode if you had already entered
the first formula.) Then, as you type other formulas, press ctrl+v to
paste from the clipboard. If the formula bar is not present, click on
ViewFormula Bar.