Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Converting hours to minutes

ADMIT TIME DISCH TIME
12:19 AM 7:10 AM
12:39 AM 4:00 AM
2:25 PM 7:30 PM
7:06 PM 12:35 AM
8:49 PM 11:42 PM

I need to find the sum of the Admit time and the Disch time(time patients
waited to be seen), then convert the answer into minutes?
Will someone please help me? I am just learning Excel and this task has
really been daunting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you really want the sum, it would be =SUM(A2,B2)*24*60 or =(A2+B2)*24*60.
If, as I suspect, you want the difference rather than the sum, then
=(B2-A2)*24*60.
In each case, format the result as Number or General, not as Time.
--
David Biddulph

"sjames" wrote in message
ADMIT TIME DISCH TIME
12:19 AM 7:10 AM
12:39 AM 4:00 AM
2:25 PM 7:30 PM
7:06 PM 12:35 AM
8:49 PM 11:42 PM

I need to find the sum of the Admit time and the Disch time(time patients
waited to be seen), then convert the answer into minutes?
Will someone please help me? I am just learning Excel and this task has
really been daunting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David,
This formula will not work if a patient arrives before midnight and is seen
or discharge after midnight.
I don't know how to write the correct formula, perhaps you could modify it
please.

"sjames" wrote in message
ADMIT TIME DISCH TIME
12:19 AM 7:10 AM
12:39 AM 4:00 AM
2:25 PM 7:30 PM
7:06 PM 12:35 AM
8:49 PM 11:42 PM

I need to find the sum of the Admit time and the Disch time(time patients
waited to be seen), then convert the answer into minutes?
Will someone please help me? I am just learning Excel and this task has
really been daunting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks RagDyer
I have finally figured the full formula:

=IF(A1B1,MOD(B1-A1,1)*1440,(B1-A1)*1440)

This should give the time in minutes between A1 and B1 whether the patient
is there thru midnight or not.

"RagDyer" wrote in message
One way:

=MOD(B2-A2,1)*1440
--
HTH,

RD

"sjames" wrote in message
ADMIT TIME DISCH TIME
12:19 AM 7:10 AM
12:39 AM 4:00 AM
2:25 PM 7:30 PM
7:06 PM 12:35 AM
8:49 PM 11:42 PM

I need to find the sum of the Admit time and the Disch time(time
patients
waited to be seen), then convert the answer into minutes?
Will someone please help me? I am just learning Excel and this task
has
really been daunting.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The Mod() formula works for *all* cases ... try it ... you'll like it!<bg

RD

"Ray" <I ate wrote in message
Thanks RagDyer
I have finally figured the full formula:

=IF(A1B1,MOD(B1-A1,1)*1440,(B1-A1)*1440)

This should give the time in minutes between A1 and B1 whether the patient
is there thru midnight or not.

"RagDyer" wrote in message
One way:

=MOD(B2-A2,1)*1440