Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default expanding numbers?

I'm not sure how to title this post. But this is what i want to do.

I need to take two variable numbers say 75 and 30000.

Then I need to step out the difference over a variable amount of cells. in
this case say 20 cells.

the output should look something like this.

75
80
93
123
178
320
30000

is there anyway to do this without lines and lines of code?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I'm probably missing something obvious but why does your output sequence
look like it does, I can't see a sequence.

Mike

"Pendal" wrote:

I'm not sure how to title this post. But this is what i want to do.

I need to take two variable numbers say 75 and 30000.

Then I need to step out the difference over a variable amount of cells. in
this case say 20 cells.

the output should look something like this.

75
80
93
123
178
320
30000

is there anyway to do this without lines and lines of code?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

How were the numbers 80, 93, 123... arrived at starting with 75, 30000 and
20?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Pendal" wrote in message
I'm not sure how to title this post. But this is what i want to do.

I need to take two variable numbers say 75 and 30000.

Then I need to step out the difference over a variable amount of cells. in
this case say 20 cells.

the output should look something like this.

75
80
93
123
178
320
30000

is there anyway to do this without lines and lines of code?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If I understand what you want to do (and it is not entirely clear given your
example numbers), put your start number (75) in A1, your ending number
(30000) in B1 and the number of cells you want to step across (20) in C1.
Now, to be perfectly clear what I am doing, putting 20 in C1 means the first
number (75) will be in A1 and the last number (30000) will be in A20... that
is, we are splitting the number across 20 cells for your given example.
Okay, if that is correct, put this formula in cell A2....

=IF(ROW(A2)<=$C$1,$A$1+(ROW(A2)-1)*($B$1-$A$1)/($C$1-1),"")

and copy it down to the last possible row you will ever want to split your
numbers across.

Now, a word about this process. You may not get the numbers you think you
should get. Why? Well, most people assume that if, say, the starting number
is 0 and the ending number is 20, and you split that over 20 cells (A1 to
A20), that each cell will increase by 1. That is not correct, however. There
are only 19 intervals between A1 and A20, not 20; so the difference in cells
is not 1; but, rather, 20 divided by 19, which is about 1.052631579. To get
a nice progression of 1 between cells, you would need to step across 21
cells (20 intervals) A1 to A21.

Rick

"Pendal" wrote in message
I'm not sure how to title this post. But this is what i want to do.

I need to take two variable numbers say 75 and 30000.

Then I need to step out the difference over a variable amount of cells. in
this case say 20 cells.

the output should look something like this.

75
80
93
123
178
320
30000

is there anyway to do this without lines and lines of code?

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The sequence is obviously
=k_a*Xmas^(k_b*Xmas)+k_c
where
k_a 11.863
k_b 0.2855
k_c 62.904

Use Goal Seek to find the value for 30000
=11.31
Enter this value at cell 20 of Xmas
Enter 1 into cell 1 and select all 20 cells.
Edit Fill Series Column

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know if this is what you're asking, but assuming your examples where
*not* actual examples, but just numbers you picked off the top of your head,
you might try something like this:

A1 = 75
B1 = 30000
C1 = 20
D1=(B1-A1)/(C1-1)
Which returns 1575

Now, click in A1, and drag down the fill handle, using the *right* mouse
button, to A20.

After releasing the mouse, and while the range is *still* selected, at the
bottom of the dialog window, click on "Series".
Enter 1575 into the "Step Value" box, then <OK.

Is that what you're after?
--

HTH,

RD