Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default synchronizing two woorkbooks

Hello All,
First I offer my "Thank you" for taking the time to help me. I always
get great help from these boards. I have created a workbook with three
interactive sheets, plus a "notes" page. It generates food costs for me. I
want to start using it at work, and am completely new to synchronizing.
Suppose I bring home a copy of the newest edition, on CD. What program would
I use to export the changes onto the workbook on my computer? I have tried
the power toy Sync Toy, that Microsoft has, and the "echo" function is
exactly what I want to do, yet it doesn't seem to work with my workbooks. One
last part of the equation is if I add new lines and columns in the one at
work, will the program you are suggesting add those to my copy here as well
(including formulas). If this matters, I have Office 2003, Student edition,
and Windows XP home. After proof reading this, would it help to buy a thumb
drive, and store a copy of the workbook on there, instead of using a CD for a
medium?
--
Have a wonderful day.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can't help with the sync part, but would recommend the thumb drive. I carry
one back and forth to work, easy to transport. My latest one has a neck
strap attached to it...only left it at work once...so far. I have at least
50 spreadsheets on it that constantly needs updating.

"George B" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I do my own syncing by using windows explorer to copy and paste.

I keep my "real" workbooks on my harddrive (or a network drive at work). And I
only use the thumbdrive for transportation between locations.

I work on my file at home (say)
Save it to my C: drive on my home pc
I close excel and open windows explorer
Copy and paste that file from the C: drive to the thumbdrive.

I get to the other location
open windows explorer
copy and paste from the thumbdrive to the C: (or U:) drive on the work pc

I don't like working on any files on removeable media. And by saving to the
local harddrives, I have a couple of built in backups--just in case.

But there are other options.

You can store files online and just retrieve them from any location.

You download them to your pc (into a nice location)
work on them as much as you want
save them to the pc
and finally upload them to the online storage area.

You may want to look into www.xdrive.com. It seems to work ok. But there are
millions of 'em!

Another option (if the workbook isn't too complex) is to use an online
spreadsheet program. You don't save anything locally (although you can if you
want). You just have to have access to the web when you need to work on the
workbook.

http://docs.google.com
is one of several

It even allows you to save the workbook with others.

George B wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson