Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Display and calculate 12:00 PM in Excel

A while back, I set up a timesheet that worked on a day that began at 12:01
AM and ended at 12:00 PM (Midnight). However, something has happened and it
no longer displays or calculates with the noon time. Any ideas how I can fix
the issue. The formulas for calculating all seem fine.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

12:00 pm is noon. 12 am is midnight.

The am/pm suffix for on the hour times is the same as 1 minute past. So if 1
minute past noon is 12:01 pm, then noon is 12:00 pm.

Fred

"YoMarie" wrote in message
A while back, I set up a timesheet that worked on a day that began at 12:01
AM and ended at 12:00 PM (Midnight). However, something has happened and it
no longer displays or calculates with the noon time. Any ideas how I can fix
the issue. The formulas for calculating all seem fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for answering Fred.

However, we don't use the Microsoft clock. Ours still runs 12:00 AM (Noon)
12:01 PM (1 minute after the noon hour). It means I really had to play
around to find the calculations that would work the first time. Which is
probably why I'm having a problem figuring out what went wrong and were.

"YoMarie" wrote in message
A while back, I set up a timesheet that worked on a day that began at 12:01
AM and ended at 12:00 PM (Midnight). However, something has happened and it
no longer displays or calculates with the noon time. Any ideas how I can fix
the issue. The formulas for calculating all seem fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Contrary to popular belief, Microsoft does not set the specs for time in the
world. It was set when we adopted Standard Time in the 1800s. Microsoft just
follow the rules. 12:00 am has always been midnight, and always will be. It
looks to me like your best solution is to join the rest of the world, rather
than try to set your own standard.

Fred

"YoMarie" wrote in message
A while back, I set up a timesheet that worked on a day that began at 12:01
AM and ended at 12:00 PM (Midnight). However, something has happened and
it
no longer displays or calculates with the noon time. Any ideas how I can
fix
the issue. The formulas for calculating all seem fine.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I always thought that 12:00 Noon was not AM or PM. And 12:00 Midnight wasn't AM
or PM, either.

But it's become common practice to call 12:00 Noon PM and 12:00 Midnight AM. I
know that when our IT folks sent messages, they would use things like:

12:00:01 AM
to avoid any confusion (or even: 00:00:01 with a 24 hour clock)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ante_Meridiem
has a section about "Confusion at noon and midnight"

--

Dave Peterson