Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default average if

Hi All,

I am trying to take out the average of all the values in column B which have
"Start of Day" in Coumn A. I tried =AVERAGE(IF(A:A="Start of Day",B:B)) but
doesnt work...need help.

Thanks
Gaurav

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is what is known as an array formula, when you are done, instead of just
hitting enter, you have to hit CTRL+Shift+Enter. If you did it right you
should se a {} around your formula.
--
-John
is helpful.

"Gaurav" wrote:

Hi All,

I am trying to take out the average of all the values in column B which have
"Start of Day" in Coumn A. I tried =AVERAGE(IF(A:A="Start of Day",B:B)) but
doesnt work...need help.

Thanks
Gaurav

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Don't use the whole column and Array enter with ctrl+shift+enter instead of
just enter
=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A22="Start of Day",B2:B22))
--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Hi All,

I am trying to take out the average of all the values in column B which
have "Start of Day" in Coumn A. I tried =AVERAGE(IF(A:A="Start of
Day",B:B)) but doesnt work...need help.

Thanks
Gaurav

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I believe it's correct to say that you cannot use whole column (or row)
references in array formulas. At any rate, your formula will work if you
specify a range of rows:
=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A100="Start of Day",B1:B100))
(with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER).

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Actually it gives me a 0 if i press enter and a #NUM! error if i press
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

"John Bundy" (remove) wrote in message
That is what is known as an array formula, when you are done, instead of
just
hitting enter, you have to hit CTRL+Shift+Enter. If you did it right you
should se a {} around your formula.
--
-John
Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know
what
is helpful.