Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Stephen[_2_] Stephen[_2_] is offline

Default average if

I believe it's correct to say that you cannot use whole column (or row)
references in array formulas. At any rate, your formula will work if you
specify a range of rows:
=AVERAGE(IF(A1:A100="Start of Day",B1:B100))
(with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER).

"Gaurav" wrote in message
Actually it gives me a 0 if i press enter and a #NUM! error if i press
CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

"John Bundy" (remove) wrote in message
That is what is known as an array formula, when you are done, instead of
just
hitting enter, you have to hit CTRL+Shift+Enter. If you did it right you
should se a {} around your formula.
--
-John
Please rate when your question is answered to help us and others know

"Gaurav" wrote:

Hi All,

I am trying to take out the average of all the values in column B which
have
"Start of Day" in Coumn A. I tried =AVERAGE(IF(A:A="Start of Day",B:B))
but
doesnt work...need help.

Thanks
Gaurav