Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Validation problem.

Lets make this very simple. I have two cells. Lets call them A1 and B1. I
want the cells to be blank or contain just "X". Anything else should not be
allowed. This i can solve by making a validation rule.I have solved this just
by makeing a list that just contain "x", so you get a dropdown box with just
x in it.

But both cells cant contain "X". This can i allsow solve by makeing a
validation rule.
Here i just added =A1="" in the validation. And offcourse i can add =B1=""
in the other valiation cell.

The problem is that i cant solve both. Need help with this one. Plz.

I dont want to use buttons..cuz this will apply to over 1000 cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thx, but this not solve the problem with the first issue. The user can still
put anything want they into the cell. This should only be restricted to
either blank " " or "x".

"Petter" wrote in message
Lets make this very simple. I have two cells. Lets call them A1 and B1. I
want the cells to be blank or contain just "X". Anything else should not
be
allowed. This i can solve by making a validation rule.I have solved this
just
by makeing a list that just contain "x", so you get a dropdown box with
just
x in it.

But both cells cant contain "X". This can i allsow solve by makeing a
validation rule.
Here i just added =A1="" in the validation. And offcourse i can add
=B1=""
in the other valiation cell.

The problem is that i cant solve both. Need help with this one. Plz.

I dont want to use buttons..cuz this will apply to over 1000 cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

My apologies. Try this formula instead:
=AND(OR(A1="",A1="X"),(COUNTIF($A$1:$B$1,"="&"X")< 2))
(The first two cell references are meant to be relative.)