Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Problem with data validation

I have used data validation quite a bit, but have never come across this.

In a worksheet, I have validation on a number of cells, most are using range
validation and I just entered a list validation.

My range validation works fine, but my list one does not because the error
check won't work. The list appears ok, but users can overtype a value
(which I don't want). I have entered "stop" works, but the error checking
doesn't. I selected "stop" for the alert and checked off the "show error
message". Fyi, the list is a named range on another worksheet.

Is there a limit to the number of values that can be validated? I have
approx 1000.

Thanks for any help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If there's a blank cell in the range that contains the list, users will
be able to type any value in the data validation cell.

Remove the blank cells, or use a dynamic range, as described he

http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's it then! I added an extra blank cell at the front of the list so the
users could "reset" the cell. I will add a "no value" option instead.

Thanks very much for your help. Mary-Lou