Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How do I get the value of a label to be displayed in Excel?

I would like to have a cell display the Value of a NAME, when the NAME is
entered in an adjacent cell. For example, if the NAME "Tax" = A1, which has a
6 entered into it, when you enter TAX in b5, the value of "6" will appear in
b6.
If I place the NAME in the Formula, ie: =TAX, then it displays 6, BUT, if
the Formula in b6 is: =b5 it displays "TAX", not it's value. The
application I am creating is a code translator, where one enters a letter of
the alphabet, and the associated code for that letter is displayed. It's a
simple character substitution, using A=3; B=4; ... y=+ etc. I have
created a list of NAMES, assigning the cells with the assocaited code to each
letter, which has been defined as a name.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=INDIRECT(B5)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"NickR2" wrote in message ...
|I would like to have a cell display the Value of a NAME, when the NAME is
| entered in an adjacent cell. For example, if the NAME "Tax" = A1, which has a
| 6 entered into it, when you enter TAX in b5, the value of "6" will appear in
| b6.
| If I place the NAME in the Formula, ie: =TAX, then it displays 6, BUT, if
| the Formula in b6 is: =b5 it displays "TAX", not it's value. The
| application I am creating is a code translator, where one enters a letter of
| the alphabet, and the associated code for that letter is displayed. It's a
| simple character substitution, using A=3; B=4; ... y=+ etc. I have
| created a list of NAMES, assigning the cells with the assocaited code to each
| letter, which has been defined as a name.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If I understand correctly, you have named a cell as tax on A1

if you have Tax on B5

Enter on B6 the funcion =INDIRECT(B5)

hth
--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"NickR2" escreveu:

I would like to have a cell display the Value of a NAME, when the NAME is
entered in an adjacent cell. For example, if the NAME "Tax" = A1, which has a
6 entered into it, when you enter TAX in b5, the value of "6" will appear in
b6.
If I place the NAME in the Formula, ie: =TAX, then it displays 6, BUT, if
the Formula in b6 is: =b5 it displays "TAX", not it's value. The
application I am creating is a code translator, where one enters a letter of
the alphabet, and the associated code for that letter is displayed. It's a
simple character substitution, using A=3; B=4; ... y=+ etc. I have
created a list of NAMES, assigning the cells with the assocaited code to each
letter, which has been defined as a name.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If I may, one more (dumb) question... why can't I define a NAME of "C"?
Each time I try it is automatically renamed to "C_"
Same happens to the letter "R"

"NickR2" escreveu:

I would like to have a cell display the Value of a NAME, when the NAME is
entered in an adjacent cell. For example, if the NAME "Tax" = A1, which has a
6 entered into it, when you enter TAX in b5, the value of "6" will appear in
b6.
If I place the NAME in the Formula, ie: =TAX, then it displays 6, BUT, if
the Formula in b6 is: =b5 it displays "TAX", not it's value. The
application I am creating is a code translator, where one enters a letter of
the alphabet, and the associated code for that letter is displayed. It's a
simple character substitution, using A=3; B=4; ... y=+ etc. I have
created a list of NAMES, assigning the cells with the assocaited code to each
letter, which has been defined as a name.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Because the name C is already taken: it means Column. Same for R (Row)

Be careful with short names; they might be reserved in other languages: K for column in Dutch, L for row in French, and so on.

Also, with Excel2007, A to XFD followed by a number can be cell addresses.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel