Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Tabbing on a Protected worksheet

Good morning --

I've protected a worksheet, all except for cells in columns A:C. Typically,
the user will enter values for a row in those columns, then move down to the
next row. I can enter values fine but, when I press 'Tab' to move to the
next column, nothing happens -- the active cell doesn't move to the right.
If I deactivate the protection, the 'Tab' key works fine. I use Excel 2003.

Can someone tell me why it's behaving like this?

Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This is not the default behaviour.

Maybe start over.

Select all cells and FormatCellsProtectionLocked.

Select Columns A and C and FormatCellsProtectionUnlocked

Now protect the worksheet with "select unlocked cells" checkmarked.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:02:10 -0800, pdberger
wrote:

Good morning --

I've protected a worksheet, all except for cells in columns A:C. Typically,
the user will enter values for a row in those columns, then move down to the
next row. I can enter values fine but, when I press 'Tab' to move to the
next column, nothing happens -- the active cell doesn't move to the right.
If I deactivate the protection, the 'Tab' key works fine. I use Excel 2003.

Can someone tell me why it's behaving like this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Funny how often I get that -- "That's not normal behavior." But people are
usually yelling pretty loudly when they say it. ;-)

Thanks. I'll try it.

wrote:

Good morning --

I've protected a worksheet, all except for cells in columns A:C. Typically,
the user will enter values for a row in those columns, then move down to the
next row. I can enter values fine but, when I press 'Tab' to move to the
next column, nothing happens -- the active cell doesn't move to the right.
If I deactivate the protection, the 'Tab' key works fine. I use Excel 2003.

Can someone tell me why it's behaving like this?

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I said it but I'm not yelling.

Gord