Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Tab delimited to comma delimited

Hi! I have a text file in notepad. The txt file is tab delimited. I want to
transfor it to comma delimited. Is this possible by pasting the data to Excel
and using some kind of "reverse text to columns"? Any idea? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks! It works fine to save it as CSV and then paste it back to notepad.
the problem is that the CSV format uses ";" as delimiter. I need ",". I know
I can search/replace but sometimes I have ";" in the text. Is there any way
to modify the delimiter? Thanks alot!

"David Biddulph" skrev:

Open the file in Excel specifying tab as the delimiter.
Save as CSV.
--
David Biddulph

"Arne Hegefors" wrote in message
Hi! I have a text file in notepad. The txt file is tab delimited. I want
transfor it to comma delimited. Is this possible by pasting the data to
Excel
and using some kind of "reverse text to columns"? Any idea? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Excel picks up this delimiter from a windows setting.

Go to the control panel, regional and language options (in winXP Home)
Regional options tab
click the customize button
On the Numbers tab, change the list separator to what you want.

Most people in the USA use a comma. Most(?) people in Europe use the semicolon.

You may want to change it back when you're done.

"David Biddulph" skrev:

Open the file in Excel specifying tab as the delimiter.
Save as CSV.
--
David Biddulph

"Arne Hegefors" wrote in message
Hi! I have a text file in notepad. The txt file is tab delimited. I want
transfor it to comma delimited. Is this possible by pasting the data to
Excel
and using some kind of "reverse text to columns"? Any idea? Thanks!

--

Dave Peterson