Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default empty cells in calculation

I have a large matrix which many of that cells are empty or blank,when i
subtract
empty cells from a reference value for example B1000= 5, empty cells act as
zero"0", resulting value = - 5, i don't want this. would you please help me.
best regards.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could use the ABS function if you want the result to be positive,
or to avoid the calculation you can have something like:

=IF(A1="","",A1-B1)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 10, 8:28 am, climate wrote:
I have a large matrix which many of that cells are empty or blank,when i
subtract
empty cells from a reference value for example B1000= 5, empty cells act as
zero"0", resulting value = - 5, i don't want this. would you please help me.
best regards.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"climate" wrote in message
I have a large matrix which many of that cells are empty or blank,when i
subtract
empty cells from a reference value for example B1000= 5, empty cells act
as
zero"0", resulting value = - 5, i don't want this. would you please help
me.
best regards.

I do not understand your question. If you subtract 0 from 5 you get 5,
not -5.
Are you (by any chance) subtracting the reference value from the total of
the cells?
If you're still having trouble understanding this, try the same thing with a
small matrix, say 2x2 or 3x3. State clearly what is in each cell, quote the
formula you are using, say what result you get and what you expect.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Suppose that a matrix (3 * 3) A1:C3, A1,B2, C3 are empty (blank),when i write
A1- 5 or B2-5 ,as a result A1= -5 and same as for B2 , C3. i want stay A1 B2
C3 empty cells after calculation.
Thank's

"Stephen" wrote:

"climate" wrote in message
I have a large matrix which many of that cells are empty or blank,when i
subtract
empty cells from a reference value for example B1000= 5, empty cells act
as
zero"0", resulting value = - 5, i don't want this. would you please help
me.
best regards.

I do not understand your question. If you subtract 0 from 5 you get 5,
not -5.
Are you (by any chance) subtracting the reference value from the total of
the cells?
If you're still having trouble understanding this, try the same thing with a
small matrix, say 2x2 or 3x3. State clearly what is in each cell, quote the
formula you are using, say what result you get and what you expect.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome - thanks for feeding back.

Pete

On Dec 10, 10:26 am, climate
wrote:
Hi pete
Thank's, it works correctly.
regards

"Pete_UK" wrote:
You could use the ABS function if you want the result to be positive,
or to avoid the calculation you can have something like:

=IF(A1="","",A1-B1)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 10, 8:28 am, climate wrote:
I have a large matrix which many of that cells are empty or blank,when i
subtract
empty cells from a reference value for example B1000= 5, empty cells act as
zero"0", resulting value = - 5, i don't want this. would you please help me.
best regards.- Hide quoted text -