Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP for lookup of names in address tables

I have an excel table containing name address and phone number.

I would like to enter a name in one cell and have another cell display the
phone number for that name from the table. I think vlookup can do this, but
I am having diffculties getting it to work.

Please post any formula suggestions that should make this work. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

From the help file:
VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ran ge_lookup)

Your lookup value will be the cell you enter the name into.
Table array will be the complete array of names, addresses, and phone
number. Such as, (D2:F10)
You're wanting phone numbers, so col_index_num is 3.
You're wanting an exact match, so range_lookup is FALSE.

Altogether,
=VLOOKUP(A1,D2:F10,3,FALSE)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Kane" wrote:

I have an excel table containing name address and phone number.

I would like to enter a name in one cell and have another cell display the
phone number for that name from the table. I think vlookup can do this, but
I am having diffculties getting it to work.

Please post any formula suggestions that should make this work. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assume your name, address and phone number are in columns A, B and C,
with data starting on row 2 to allow for headings. Use E1 to enter a
name and put this formula in F1:

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(E1,A$2:C$1000,3,0)),"not found",VLOOKUP(E1,A$2:C
$1000,3,0))

I've assumed you have data up to row 1000 - adjust if you have more.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Dec 6, 6:11 pm, Kane wrote:
I have an excel table containing name address and phone number.

I would like to enter a name in one cell and have another cell display the
phone number for that name from the table. I think vlookup can do this, but
I am having diffculties getting it to work.

Please post any formula suggestions that should make this work. Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CLR CLR is offline

The VLOOKUP is the formula to use, and you've been given examples of it's
use..........however, be warned that when dealing with hand-entered names,
many times the lookup is not successful even tho the data you are seeking is
actually in the table.....primarily because of type-o's, or entries differing
from what is in the table.....for instance, looking us S. Rand, will not
return the data for Sally Rand.....etc, etc.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3