Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Luke M Luke M is offline

Default VLOOKUP for lookup of names in address tables

From the help file:
VLOOKUP(lookup_value,table_array,col_index_num,ran ge_lookup)

Your lookup value will be the cell you enter the name into.
Table array will be the complete array of names, addresses, and phone
number. Such as, (D2:F10)
You're wanting phone numbers, so col_index_num is 3.
You're wanting an exact match, so range_lookup is FALSE.

Altogether,
=VLOOKUP(A1,D2:F10,3,FALSE)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Kane" wrote:

I have an excel table containing name address and phone number.

I would like to enter a name in one cell and have another cell display the
phone number for that name from the table. I think vlookup can do this, but
I am having diffculties getting it to work.

Please post any formula suggestions that should make this work. Thanks.