Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default HOW DO I MAKE A WORD HAVE A VALUE IN EXCEL

I work on commission. what I sell decides the percentage. I want to know if I
can make a word have a value in excel. if i type the word, will it know the
value?

a1 a2 a3 a4
Item Sold Initial Renewal Commission

tcntl $994 $279
pspec $479
tcprot $279

tcntl = 15%
pspec = 10%
tcprot = 10%

a1*a2=a4

hope this makes sense
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know if understand you completely, but it
looks like you need to lookup your words with
the vlookup or the hlookup in a matrix, where
your words are in column a and the value is in
column b

for example:

A4 = vlookup(A1,sheet2!$A$1:$B$5,2,false) * A2

hth

Carlo

On Dec 5, 3:37 pm, madmhaha
wrote:
I work on commission. what I sell decides the percentage. I want to know if I
can make a word have a value in excel. if i type the word, will it know the
value?

a1 a2 a3 a4
Item Sold Initial Renewal Commission

tcntl $994 $279
pspec $479
tcprot $279

tcntl = 15%
pspec = 10%
tcprot = 10%

a1*a2=a4

hope this makes sense

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

InsertNameDefine
In the Names in workbook box, type tcntl
In the Refers to box, type =15%

=A1*tcntl gives the result

--
Kind regards,