Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default attendance based pay for Army reserve

I am attempting to build a spreadsheet to manage attendance based pay for a
TA (National Guard equiv) squadron.
Soldiers will be marked in either 0.25, .5, .75 or 1 for the percentage of
working day attended and I want to produce a sum per month and rolling year
however when I try to add the values of 31 cells Excel 2002 tells me I am
entering too many arguments for Sum. To make things a little harder the cells
for the dates are not next to each other so the formula should look like this
=SUM(BO3,BM3,BK3,BI3,BG3,BE3,BC3,BA3,AY3,AW3,AU3,A S3,AQ3,AO3,AM3,AK3,AI3,AG3,AE3,AC3,AA3,Y3,W3,U3,S3 ,Q3,O3,M3,K3,I3,G3)

Am I trying to do this the hard way ?

Thanks Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Split it in two:
=SUM(BO3,BM3,BK3,BI3,BG3,BE3,BC3,BA3,AY3,AW3,AU3,A S3)+SUM(AQ3,AO3,AM3,AK3,AI3,AG3,AE3,AC3,AA3,Y3,W3, U3,S3,Q3,O3,M3,K3,I3,G3)

Probably is a better way, but's 5pm and I'm tired :)

"Paul" wrote:

I am attempting to build a spreadsheet to manage attendance based pay for a
TA (National Guard equiv) squadron.
Soldiers will be marked in either 0.25, .5, .75 or 1 for the percentage of
working day attended and I want to produce a sum per month and rolling year
however when I try to add the values of 31 cells Excel 2002 tells me I am
entering too many arguments for Sum. To make things a little harder the cells
for the dates are not next to each other so the formula should look like this
=SUM(BO3,BM3,BK3,BI3,BG3,BE3,BC3,BA3,AY3,AW3,AU3,A S3,AQ3,AO3,AM3,AK3,AI3,AG3,AE3,AC3,AA3,Y3,W3,U3,S3 ,Q3,O3,M3,K3,I3,G3)

Am I trying to do this the hard way ?

Thanks Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hey paul

i suggest sumif but you will have to make a small change to your sheet

in row 2 (for example), put an "Y" in each of the columns that you are going
to sum up

then you can use

=SUMIF(G2:BO2,"Y",G3:BO3)

you could call this row something like "relevant for SUMIF"
--
Allllen

"Paul" wrote:

I am attempting to build a spreadsheet to manage attendance based pay for a
TA (National Guard equiv) squadron.
Soldiers will be marked in either 0.25, .5, .75 or 1 for the percentage of
working day attended and I want to produce a sum per month and rolling year
however when I try to add the values of 31 cells Excel 2002 tells me I am
entering too many arguments for Sum. To make things a little harder the cells
for the dates are not next to each other so the formula should look like this
=SUM(BO3,BM3,BK3,BI3,BG3,BE3,BC3,BA3,AY3,AW3,AU3,A S3,AQ3,AO3,AM3,AK3,AI3,AG3,AE3,AC3,AA3,Y3,W3,U3,S3 ,Q3,O3,M3,K3,I3,G3)

Am I trying to do this the hard way ?

Thanks Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It looks like you are summing every other cell from G3 to BO3, if that's the
case this will work

=SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(COLUMN(G3:BO3),2)=1),G3:BO3)

otherwise you can just use some extra parenthesis

=SUM((BO3,BM3,BK3,BI3,BG3,BE3,BC3,BA3,AY3,AW3,AU3, AS3,AQ3,AO3,AM3,AK3,AI3,AG3,AE3,AC3,AA3,Y3,W3,U3,S 3,Q3,O3,M3,K3,I3,G3))

if you add an extra parenthesis for each 30 arguments but given your example
my first formula will work

Peo Sjoblom