Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Building a spread sheet for oil field use

I am working on a spreaad sheet to help my co-workers and my self to do
abandanment plugs. what I need to do is be able to read a common size in the
drop down list but enter a differnt number into the formula.
A B C
1 Casing 4.5" X 10.5# .0159
2 7" X 17# .0417
for example if I chose 7" X 17# from the list it automaticly puts the .0417
into the formula
--
oilpatchdummie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You will have to do two things, First build the table showing common
sizes in one column and required number in the other.
Then through Data Validation, List do a DropDown box for the common
sizes, and write Vlookup formula to see the different number from the
table, where you want to show it.

AQIB RIZVI
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

VLOOKUP formulas will pull the data to appropriate cells.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more on VLOOKUP and Data
Validation lists for entering the choices.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlFunctions02.html

Note the section on using DV lists from another worksheet by naming the list.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP