Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default What are the calcs in PMT

I would like to know what the actual calc is in PMT.
The commas do not do anything.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Micky,

In a blank worksheet, type

=PMT(

then pess CTRL+A

this gives (should give) you the function wizard, in which you can press "help on this function"

If this doesn't help you enough, post again in this same thread

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Micky G" <Micky wrote in message ...
|I would like to know what the actual calc is in PMT.
| The commas do not do anything.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Nov 16, 2:56 pm, Micky G <Micky
wrote:
I would like to know what the actual calc is in PMT.
The commas do not do anything.

You question is unclear to me. What specifically do you not
understand about the Help page for PMT?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I don't know what the commas are indicating to do with the variables.

"joeu2004" wrote:

On Nov 16, 2:56 pm, Micky G <Micky
wrote:
I would like to know what the actual calc is in PMT.
The commas do not do anything.

You question is unclear to me. What specifically do you not
understand about the Help page for PMT?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Nov 22, 6:37 am, Micky G wrote:
I don't know what the commas are indicating to do with the variables.

Consider this example from the Help page:

=PMT(A2/12, A3, A4)

The commas simply separate the list of arguments, much like commas
separate the following list of languages: English, French, German,
Italian. The commas serve no other purpose. They "do" nothing to the
arguments.

That should be "obvious". So I suspect I am not understanding your
question. If I failed to answer your question, please provide a
specific example.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I understand the %/months a year, I understand the content of the chosen
cells but what is being done with the contents in them. They are obviously
not being added together, what's the calculation between the rate, number of
payments and the principal amoiunt.??

"joeu2004" wrote:

On Nov 22, 6:37 am, Micky G wrote:
I don't know what the commas are indicating to do with the variables.

Consider this example from the Help page:

=PMT(A2/12, A3, A4)

The commas simply separate the list of arguments, much like commas
separate the following list of languages: English, French, German,
Italian. The commas serve no other purpose. They "do" nothing to the
arguments.

That should be "obvious". So I suspect I am not understanding your
question. If I failed to answer your question, please provide a
specific example.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Micky,

In my reply, 5 days ago, I advised you to look at the HELP pages. So did joeu2004.
I don't think you've done that; if you did, you'd have found the reference to the PV function, which gives a detailed explanation
of the calculations.

Please follow our advice. Post again with details if you still have problems.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Micky G" wrote in message ...
|I understand the %/months a year, I understand the content of the chosen
| cells but what is being done with the contents in them. They are obviously
| not being added together, what's the calculation between the rate, number of
| payments and the principal amoiunt.??
|

| "joeu2004" wrote:
|
| On Nov 22, 6:37 am, Micky G wrote:
| I don't know what the commas are indicating to do with the variables.
|
| Consider this example from the Help page:
|
| =PMT(A2/12, A3, A4)
|
| The commas simply separate the list of arguments, much like commas
| separate the following list of languages: English, French, German,
| Italian. The commas serve no other purpose. They "do" nothing to the
| arguments.
|
| That should be "obvious". So I suspect I am not understanding your
| question. If I failed to answer your question, please provide a
| specific example.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Nov 22, 11:13 am, Micky G wrote:
I understand the %/months a year, I understand the content of the chosen
cells but what is being done with the contents in them. They are obviously
not being added together, what's the calculation between the rate, number of
payments and the principal amoiunt.??

Oh, so you would like to know the mathematical formula for computing
the payment. Look at the PV Help page. Solve for "pmt".