Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Function to convert to email address?

Given a column of cells each with text in the format:

LAST NAME, FIRST NAME

..... like "Jones, Bob" and "Johnson, David", is there a quick excel
function/method that will convert and then write them to a different
column such that:

(first initial)(last

.... so "Jones, Bob" becomes " and "Johnson, David"
becomes "?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Charlie

Technically you may need this

=HYPERLINK("mailto:"&LOWER((MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+ ",LOWER((MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+2,1))& ")

You could drop the lower if the case is not important and the repeating part
if you can put up with rather than

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

UK Excel User Conference In Cambridge
November 28th - December 1st 2007
Register Now @ http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html

wrote in message
oups.com...
Given a column of cells each with text in the format:

LAST NAME, FIRST NAME

.... like "Jones, Bob" and "Johnson, David", is there a quick excel
function/method that will convert and then write them to a different
column such that:

(first initial)(last

... so "Jones, Bob" becomes " and "Johnson, David"
becomes "?

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,1)&LEFT(A1,FIND(" "

I don't know how to get rid of the underlines, sorry!

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

wrote in message oups.com...
| Given a column of cells each with text in the format:
|
| LAST NAME, FIRST NAME
|
| .... like "Jones, Bob" and "Johnson, David", is there a quick excel
| function/method that will convert and then write them to a different
| column such that:
|
| (first initial)(last
|
| ... so "Jones, Bob" becomes " and "Johnson, David"
| becomes "?
|
| TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Nov 12, 12:26 pm, "Nick Hodge" wrote:
Charlie

Technically you may need this

=HYPERLINK("mailto:"&LOWER((MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+ ",LOWER((MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+2,1))& ")

You could drop the lower if the case is not important and the repeating part
if you can put up with rather than

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England

web:www.nickhodge.co.uk

UK Excel User Conference In Cambridge
November 28th - December 1st 2007
Register Now @http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html

wrote in message

oups.com...

Given a column of cells each with text in the format:

LAST NAME, FIRST NAME

.... like "Jones, Bob" and "Johnson, David", is there a quick excel
function/method that will convert and then write them to a different
column such that:

(first initial)(last

... so "Jones, Bob" becomes " and "Johnson, David"
becomes "?

TIA

Awesome, awesome, awesome. Thank you very much, it works like a charm.

-CW

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Charlie

Glad it worked.

--
HTH
Nick Hodge
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Southampton, England
DTHIS
web:
www.nickhodge.co.uk

UK Excel User Conference In Cambridge
November 28th - December 1st 2007
Register Now @ http://www.exceluserconference.com/UKEUC.html

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Nov 12, 12:26 pm, "Nick Hodge" wrote:
Charlie

Technically you may need this

=HYPERLINK("mailto:"&LOWER((MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+ ",LOWER((MID(A1,FIND(",",A1,1)+2,1))& ")

You could drop the lower if the case is not important and the repeating
part
if you can put up with rather than

--
HTH