Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default VLOOKUP data missed

I am trying to determine if what I have is an Excel bug or is there another
way around the formula.

I am trying to have VLOOKUP collect some data from another worksheet and
place it on a cell of the worksheet I am on. All works great except that a
few of the inquiries I have it find come back with the wrong answer.
I am using the formula =IF(H2<"",VLOOKUP(H2,MASTER,3,FALSE),0).

H2 is a steel Section (ex F75*5). The Master is in another worksheet
(A2:A8900) going 6 columns long. I need the exact number, but VLOOKUP keeps
grabbing the number F75*25. There are a few numbers it does this one. The
Master is sorted, so I dont understand the problem.

Any help would be greatly appricated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The probelm is that Excel is evaluating the "*" as a wildcard.

Try it like this:

=IF(H2<"",VLOOKUP(SUBSTITUTE(H2,"*","~*"),MASTER, 3,0),0)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP