Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating a complicated formula

I am doing an MTO for work and need to calculate a swale concrete lining. On
paper, easy. But I cannot get the formula to work on excel.

Obviously you have SQRT(number) and a couple of POWER(number) x thickness x
length but I cannot get it to work.

The slope of the swale is 1.5 times the base, therefore you have 1.5 x b
squared + d squared and then this answer is sqrt x 2 for both sides + b for
total length x thickness x length.

to get this all in one formula is mind boggling to me, or maybe I need a
break, short fuse and all that.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Chris" wrote in message
I am doing an MTO for work and need to calculate a swale concrete lining.
On
paper, easy. But I cannot get the formula to work on excel.

Obviously you have SQRT(number) and a couple of POWER(number) x thickness
length but I cannot get it to work.

The slope of the swale is 1.5 times the base, therefore you have 1.5 x b
squared + d squared and then this answer is sqrt x 2

=SQRT(1.5*B^2+d^2)*2

for both sides

don't understand this bit

+ b for total length x thickness x length.

nor this really, although it will end with *t*l

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Chris,
Without wishing to be rude, you have not given a good explanation of the
formula
Can you send it to use in a manner like this:
slope = Sqrt(1.5*(B^2+D^2)) [or is it sqrt( (1.5*B)^2 +d^2 ) ?]
swale = 2*slope
OR send us a reference to a web site with the formula

In Excel, you can make formulas like this =SQRT(1.5*A1^2+B1^2) where A1 and
B1 are cell hold values for b and d. But we need to know your exact
requirements.

We want to help but need more input
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Chris" wrote in message
I am doing an MTO for work and need to calculate a swale concrete lining.
On
paper, easy. But I cannot get the formula to work on excel.

Obviously you have SQRT(number) and a couple of POWER(number) x thickness
length but I cannot get it to work.

The slope of the swale is 1.5 times the base, therefore you have 1.5 x b
squared + d squared and then this answer is sqrt x 2 for both sides + b
for
total length x thickness x length.

to get this all in one formula is mind boggling to me, or maybe I need a
break, short fuse and all that.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Bernard,

Now I know you can use ^2 rather than POWER(x,y) I have the formula, I was
struggling with the whole concept of writing a formula with all these words
but now the answer is clear and simple.

Thank you again.