Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I have a complicated formula that I need SERIOUS help with please!

Hi,

I am trying to count cells in a row that either contain a "1" or are
"blank," but some of the cells in the row are shaded. The problem that I am
having is that I cannot make the formula work where it counts and adds up all
the "1's" and "blank" cells, but not the "shaded" cells. The other problem
is that sometimes the shaded cells do contain a "1" in it, but I still do not
want that cell counted.

If someone can PLEASE help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Carol
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel's built in formulas do not allow one to calculate on the basis of cell
shading.

Either change the values in the shaded cells to something unique to those
cells, or else you will have to create a macro. See here for more
information: http://www.ozgrid.com/VBA/sum-count-cells-by-color.htm

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Thrlckr" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to count cells in a row that either contain a "1" or are
"blank," but some of the cells in the row are shaded. The problem that I am
having is that I cannot make the formula work where it counts and adds up all
the "1's" and "blank" cells, but not the "shaded" cells. The other problem
is that sometimes the shaded cells do contain a "1" in it, but I still do not
want that cell counted.

If someone can PLEASE help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Carol

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

For tips on counting coloured cells see Chips notes at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm
Be prepared to use VBA
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Thrlckr" wrote in message

I am trying to count cells in a row that either contain a "1" or are
"blank," but some of the cells in the row are shaded. The problem that I
am
having is that I cannot make the formula work where it counts and adds up
all
the "1's" and "blank" cells, but not the "shaded" cells. The other
problem
is that sometimes the shaded cells do contain a "1" in it, but I still do
not
want that cell counted.

If someone can PLEASE help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it!

Sincerely,
Carol

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Carol,
You can't use a built in function to count formatted cells in Excel, there
is no such function. You can count '1's or 'Hello's using COUNTIF or
suchlike but not formats. It can be done with programming, see here courtesy
of Mr Pearson who has lots of other good stuff on his website,
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm
Regards,
Alan