Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sum equal cells

Hello.

I currently have this:

Column A Column B Column C

James 5
Kyle 6
Mark 2
Mark 1
James 1
Kyle 4
Adam 5
Adam 1

How do I have Column C be a sum of the numbers in Column B if the "names" in
Column A match, without having the sum of each matching "name" duplicate ( I
only want ONE subtotal for each set of a matching "name" from column A
reflecting the related number from column B)

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try this in C1:

=IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)=1,SUMIF(A$1:A$100,A1,B$1:B$ 100),"")

and copy down. I've assumed 100 rows of data - adjust in the SUMIF
function if necessary.

Hope this helps.

Pete