Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formatting cells

Is there a way to format a cell say to currency using some function?
yaro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The only function that can affect the formatting in this way is TEXT,
but that turns your numbers into text at the same time, which you
might not want if you do further calculations on them.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 26, 8:59 am, "
wrote:
Is there a way to format a cell say to currency using some function?
yaro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Oct 26, 9:33 am, Pete_UK wrote:
The only function that can affect the formatting in this way is TEXT,
but that turns your numbers into text at the same time, which you
might not want if you do further calculations on them.

Hope this helps.

Pete

It would do if I could use some function at the same time within the
same formula
to add symbol to that texted number to get e.g. $40 or 12.5% in one
cell.
yaro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you have 40 in a cell, you can format that cell as currency using Format/
Cells/ Number/ Currecy, & pick an appropriate option, or use a custom format
such as $0. Alternatively you can take Pete's suggestion of using the TEXT
function in another cell, such as =TEXT(A1,"$0")

Similarly if you have 0.125 you can format it as percentage using Format/
Cells/ Number/ Percentage, & pick an option. Alternatively =TEXT(A1,"0.0%")
--
David Biddulph

wrote in message
ps.com...
On Oct 26, 9:33 am, Pete_UK wrote:
The only function that can affect the formatting in this way is TEXT,
but that turns your numbers into text at the same time, which you
might not want if you do further calculations on them.

Hope this helps.

Pete

It would do if I could use some function at the same time within the
same formula
to add symbol to that texted number to get e.g. $40 or 12.5% in one
cell.
yaro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Oct 26, 1:17 pm, "David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:
If you have 40 in a cell, you can format that cell as currency using Format/
Cells/ Number/ Currecy, & pick an appropriate option, or use a custom format
such as $0. Alternatively you can take Pete's suggestion of using the TEXT
function in another cell, such as =TEXT(A1,"$0")

Similarly if you have 0.125 you can format it as percentage using Format/
Cells/ Number/ Percentage, & pick an option. Alternatively =TEXT(A1,"0.0%")
--
David Biddulph

Format/ Cells/ Number/ Percentage < this is what I want to avoid.
Just a formula.
=TEXT(A1,"0.0%") < this would be great if it wasn't pointing to
another cell. What I
would like to achieve is one formula nested in another formula that
e.g. calculates
the sum of some cells and prints it up as a number with some sign
attached like $,
% or something all within the same cell.
yaro

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

TEXT(A1,"$0") is just an example - instead of A1 you could have some
other formula/function in there, such as:

=TEXT(A1*B1+C1-300,"$0")

I think you have to make up your mind what kind of symbol you want in
there. You could do something like this, I suppose:

=IF(formula<1,TEXT(formula,"0.0%"),TEXT(formula,"$ 0.00"))

but that doesn't make much sense to me.

Hope this helps.

Pete

wrote:

[...]

[...]