Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel 2007 - hyperlink to display external data in a pop-up?

I have an Excel spreadsheet with over 2000 columns and over 2100 rows. I
would like to reduce the number of columns by linking to the information in
another workbook. This I know how to do, but I'd rather not leave the
spreadsheet to view the data in the other workbook. Is it possible to create
a type of "pop-up" that would display the external data while staying in the
working spreadsheet?

Below are some examples, using just a few of my spreadsheet columns:

| Date | Order# | Vendor | Item#| Description | Retail Price | Paid Price |
Discount% |

1. In the above example, the first 3 columns (Date, Order#, Vendor) could be
reduced to just one column (Order#) if there was a way to click on the Order#
and a window pops up to display all other information associated with the
Order# (Date, Vendor).

2. As in the example above, the next 3 columns (Item#, Description, Retail
Price) could also be reduced to one column, with the associated information
only displayed when clicking on the entry (e.g. Item# or Description).

3. However, the next column (Paid Price) is unique to each row, and can't be
drawn from external data. Furthermore, both the Retail Price AND the Paid
Price are used in calculating the Discount% (the last column). I don't know
if the Discount% can be calculated if the Retail Price is not displayed in a
column.

I have much more information that I am tracking for each Order# and Item#,
but I only used a few of my 2028 column titles in an effort to keep the
examples simple.

Does anyone know if the "pop-up" information using external data can be
accomplished? I got the idea from a website that I frequent. The website uses
a database (or several databases) and some of the information is displayed in
a table, but if you click on the data in certain cells (e.g. Vendor Name) a
small window pops up with the Vendor Name PLUS the associated address and
phone number.

I have very limited knowledge/experience with creating Macros or Pivot
Tables, but I have created a few using Excel Help for guidance. I've also
learned to create a few complex functions beyond SUM, etc.

Thanks for any advice!