Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Simple links in Excel 2007

I have an list of companies that I want to add links to their websites. I
then want to save it as html to use on a website. I don't want the web
addresses to show (=hidden) I just want to company name to appear.

I'm sure this is the simplest thing to do but I haven't used Excel much
lately (and 2007 not at all). Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Maureen
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This may work in 2007

In a cell enter:

=HYPERLINK("http://www.cnn.com","news")

this produces a nice click-able link with only the "friendly" name visible.
Will also work if saved as .html
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200751

"MM" wrote:

I have an list of companies that I want to add links to their websites. I
then want to save it as html to use on a website. I don't want the web
addresses to show (=hidden) I just want to company name to appear.

I'm sure this is the simplest thing to do but I haven't used Excel much
lately (and 2007 not at all). Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Maureen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Gary - that is exactly what I was looking for. It was actually quite
simple to do.

Question # 2 - I want to add alt text that pops us when the cursor is over
the link. I read the instructions and it says that I just need to right
click and choose "alt text" but I don't see that option. Any ideas/

Thanks a bunch,
Maureen

"MM" wrote:

I have an list of companies that I want to add links to their websites. I
then want to save it as html to use on a website. I don't want the web
addresses to show (=hidden) I just want to company name to appear.

I'm sure this is the simplest thing to do but I haven't used Excel much
lately (and 2007 not at all). Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Maureen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Maureen:

The popup message is associated with the other kind of hyperlink, the:

Insert Hyperlink

In Excel 2003, you use the Screentip button near the top of the hyperlink
wizard. Once again, I don't know if this applies to 2007.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200751

"MM" wrote:

I have an list of companies that I want to add links to their websites. I
then want to save it as html to use on a website. I don't want the web
addresses to show (=hidden) I just want to company name to appear.

I'm sure this is the simplest thing to do but I haven't used Excel much
lately (and 2007 not at all). Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Maureen

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Gary / Maureen

It works the same in XL2007.
Type any word you like in a cell e.g Search
Control+k to bring up the Insert Hyperlink dialogue
click Screentip button Use Google to search the web
Addresshttp://www.Google.co.uk/

--
Regards
Roger Govier