Robert

Default Help with SUMIF, INDEX, LOOKUP Please !!

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me out here. I am working
on a template and got part of the function working.

Ex. C7 =SUMIF(A7:A1,"33",B7:B1) and E8 =SUMIF(A8:A1,"33",B8:B1).

I have this part working, the thing is, IF anywhere on Column A, there
is a number larger than 33, column C and E restart at Zero plus what
ever is in column B for that day.

I think I need to INDEX, LOOKUP, and most likely something else too.

Please, Any help would be greatly appreciated !
Thanks ..

Column A: Off Duty Hours
Column B: On Duty Hours
Column C: Total hours on duty for past 7 days
Column D: Total from column C: minus 70
Column E: Total hours on duty for past 8 days

Numbers on the left are the days of the month

A B C D E

1 24 10 10 60 10

2 10 10 20 50 20

3 11 9 29 41 29

4 10 8 37 33 37

5 10 9 46 24 46

6 11 8 54 16 54

7 12 8 62 8 62

8 10 8 60 0 70

9 34 10 10 60 10

10 15 11 21 49 21

11 12 13 34 36 34
Biff

Hi!

It's not very clear what it is you want to do.

Can you be more specific and tell us EXACTLY what you want
and what result you expect?

Biff

[...]

.

Max

... the thing is, IF anywhere on Column A, there is a number
larger than 33, column C and E restart at Zero
plus whatever is in column B for that day.

Column D: Total from column C: minus 70

FWIW, going by the above lines and from studying the sample table given in
the original post for cols A to E, what's described below seems to return
the desired results in the computed cols C to E for the data input in cols A
and B ?? (But admit <g I couldn't correlate the part on the SUMIF example
mentioned for C7, E8, and the part about cols C/E meant to total the hours
on duty for the past 7/8 days. These parts were placed aside in coming up
with the set-up below .. )

Assume the data below is in A1:B11
(taken from the original post)

24 10
10 10
11 9
10 8
10 9
11 8
12 8
10 8
34 10
15 11
12 13

If you put

In C1: =B1
In C2: =IF(A2<=33,B2+C1,B2)
and copy C2 down to C11

In D1: =70-C1
and copy D1 down to D11

In E1: =B1
In E2: =IF(A2<=33,B2+E1,B2)
and copy E2 down to E11

(Col E is basically identical to col C)

The above will return in cols A to E,
the full pictu

24 10 10 60 10
10 10 20 50 20
11 9 29 41 29
10 8 37 33 37
10 9 46 24 46
11 8 54 16 54
12 8 62 8 62
10 8 70 0 70
34 10 10 60 10
15 11 21 49 21
12 13 34 36 34

which seems to correspond quite well with the results indicated in the
original post (Believe there's a typo in the value for C8 in the original
post: C8's computed value should be 70, not 60)

--
Rgds
Max

Robert

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 11:36:49 +0800, "Max" wrote:

[...]

Hi Max,

Actually, No, it is supposed to be 70, If at any time I take over 33
hours off duty, My time automatically starts back at 70, minus of
course any hours that I work that day.

If I have not exceeded the 70-hour limit and take 34 consecutive hours
off duty, I have 70 hours available again. I would then begin my
totaling on the day of the restart and not go back the full 7 or 8
days.

Column C is keeping a running total for only 7 days
Column E is doing the same but for 8 days
Unless of course I restart my 70 by taking 34 consecutive hours off
duty.

I would like to elaborate more about what I am trying to accomplish
with these formulas..

Thanks .. Robert
pacrat2001 <at msn <dot com
Max

"Robert" wrote
... (Believe there's a typo in the value for C8 in the original
post: C8's computed value should be 70, not 60)

Actually, No, it is supposed to be 70 ...

That means the suggested formulas in cols C to E returned correctly, yes?
I would like to elaborate more about what I am trying to accomplish
with these formulas..

Were the suggested formulas for cols C to E what you were after,
or is it something else ?

--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Robert

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 17:09:44 +0800, "Max"
wrote:

"Robert" wrote
... (Believe there's a typo in the value for C8 in the original
post: C8's computed value should be 70, not 60)

Actually, No, it is supposed to be 70 ...

That means the suggested formulas in cols C to E returned correctly, yes?
I would like to elaborate more about what I am trying to accomplish
with these formulas..

Were the suggested formulas for cols C to E what you were after,
or is it something else ?

OKAY !

Im gonna try to explain in more detail!

Column C only goes back 7 rows.
Lets say, for C8 I need for it to look from A8:A2 for
any number above 33.

(For Cell C8)
Example "If A2 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B2:B8."
Example "If A3 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B3:B8"
Example "If A4 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B4:B8"
Example "If A5 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B5:B8"
Example "If A6 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B6:B8"
Example "If A7 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B7:B8"
Example "If A8 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum only B8"

Column E goes back 8 rows.
Lets say, for E8, I need for it to look at A8:A1 for
any number above 33.

(For Cell E8)
Example " If A1 I need for it to sum B1:B8."
Example " If A2 is Greater than 33, , I need for it to sum B2:B8"
Example " If A3 is Greater than 33, , I need for it to sum B3:B8"
Example " If A4 is Greater than 33, , I need for it to sum B4:B8"
Example " If A5 is Greater than 33, , I need for it to sum B5:B8"
Example " If A6 is Greater than 33, , I need for it to sum B6:B8"
Example " If A7 is Greater than 33, , I need for it to sum B7:B8"
Example " If A8 is Greater than 33, , I need for it to sum B8"

Thanks .. Robert
pacrat2001 <at msn <dot com
Max

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

Here's my best shot at it ..

Put in C8:

=IF(A233,SUM(B2:B8),IF(A333,SUM(B3:B8),IF(A433, SUM(B4:B8),IF(A533,SUM(B5
:B8),IF(A633,SUM(B6:B8),IF(A733,SUM(B7:B8),IF(A8 33,B8,0)))))))

Copy C8 down

Put in E8:

=IF(A133,SUM(B1:B8),IF(A233,SUM(B2:B8),IF(A333, SUM(B3:B8),IF(A433,SUM(B4
:B8),IF(A533,SUM(B5:B8),IF(A633,SUM(B6:B8),IF(A7 33,SUM(B7:B8),IF(A833,B8
,0))))))))

Copy E8 down

--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Domenic

How about something like this...

C8:

=SUM(INDEX(B2:B8,MATCH(TRUE,A2:A833,0)):B8)

E8:

=SUM(INDEX(B1:B8,MATCH(TRUE,A1:A833,0)):B8)

Both these formulas need to be confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not
just ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article ,
Robert wrote:

[...]

Robert

Okay, Nice work Domenic

The formula is almost doing what I need it to do, but, if there
is not a number larger than 33 in any of the A cells ex. A8:A2, Excel
is giving me an error #N/A. If there is not a number larger than 33, I
need all the corresponding cells calculated together. Also I changed
the formula to start looking from A8:A2 instead of A2:A8, I meant to
put them down the right way in my previous post.
No Biggie, I changed that.

(For Cell C8)
Example "If A8 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum only B8"
Example "If A7 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B7:B8"
Example "If A6 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B6:B8"
Example "If A5 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B5:B8"
Example "If A4 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B4:B8"
Example "If A3 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B3:B8"
Example "If A2 is Greater than 33, I need for it to sum B2:B8."

=SUM(INDEX(B8:B2,MATCH(TRUE,A8:A233,0)):B8)

One more thing I did notice, when it finds the very first A cell with
a number larger than 33, I need for excel to go no further than that
line for the calculations, I noticed that if there are more than one
cell in A8:A1 with a 34, it calculates from the very last one. In
other words, If A5 and A3 both have a value greater than 33, I need
for the formula to stop at A5 and calculate only from C5:C8.

Thanks so much for your help so far, I would never have gotten this
far. Thankyou ! Robert

Robert wrote:

[...]

Robert

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 11:58:14 +0800, "Max"
wrote:

"Robert" wrote in message
[...]

I have also done this myself, this one would work too, except I need
to add 1 more function to this, then it no longer works. Only 7
functions are allowed per cell.
=IF(A233,SUM(B2:B8),IF(A333,SUM(B3:B8),IF(A433 ,SUM(B4:B8),IF(A533,SUM(B5
:B8),IF(A633,SUM(B6:B8),IF(A733,SUM(B7:B8),IF(A 833,B8,0)))))))

Copy C8 down

Put in E8:

This one has 8 functions, as I said above, Only 7 functions allowed
per cell.
=IF(A133,SUM(B1:B8),IF(A233,SUM(B2:B8),IF(A333 ,SUM(B3:B8),IF(A433,SUM(B4
:B8),IF(A533,SUM(B5:B8),IF(A633,SUM(B6:B8),IF(A 733,SUM(B7:B8),IF(A833,B8
,0))))))))

Copy E8 down

Thanks for your input ... Robert

Domenic

Try...

=IF(COUNTIF(A2:A8,"33"),SUM(INDEX(B2:B8,LARGE(IF( A2:A833,ROW(A2:A8)-ROW
(A2)+1),1)):B8),SUM(B2:B8))

Robert wrote:

[...]

Robert

Dominic,

Excellent work, That really works great. Do I owe you anything for
your time and trouble?

BTW, what is it with using CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER ?
What is the concept of this?

Can I ask you a favor? Could you explain to me the formula that you
came up with in more detail so that I may try to understand it better?
If you like you can email me at the email address I have provided in
these replies.

Thanks again so much Dominic, ..... Robert

Robert wrote:

[...]

Max

I have also done this myself, this one would work too, except I need
to add 1 more function to this, then it no longer works. Only 7
functions are allowed per cell.

You should have posted this formula in the first instance as a start point
Anyway, can see that you've got some nice help from Domenic

Thanks for your input ... Robert

You're welcome !
--
Rgds
Max
GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E
xdemechanik <atyahoo<dotcom
----

Domenic

In article ,
Robert wrote:

Do I owe you anything for
your time and trouble?

Thanks is more than enough. :)

BTW, what is it with using CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER ?
What is the concept of this?

See Excel's help menu for a detailed explanation. Search for...

- Array formula
- About array formulas and how to enter them

Could you explain to me the formula that you
came up with in more detail so that I may try to understand it better?

Let's first take a look at the LARGE part of the formula. If A2:B8
contains the following values...

20 1
28 2
16 3
35 4
10 5
12 6
33 7

A2:A833 returns the following array...

FALSE
FALSE
FALSE
TRUE
FALSE
FALSE
FALSE

ROW(A2:A8)-ROW(A2)+1 returns...

1
2
3
4
5
6
7

IF(A2:A833,ROW(A2:A8)-ROW(A2)+1) returns...

FALSE
FALSE
FALSE
4
FALSE
FALSE
FALSE

Therefore, LARGE(IF(A2:A833,ROW(A2:A8)-ROW(A2)+1),1) returns 4, which
is used by INDEX to refer to the fourth cell in the range B2:B8. The
reference B5 is returned. Then we end up with the following...

SUM(B5:B8)

Hope this helps!