Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Defining a custom-named Range across several worksheets

Hello,

I seem to have a problem:

I want to name a range across worksheets.

eg. In several worksheets in a workbook I want the cell A1 to be named
customcell1. However when I go to the naming feature (Insert Name Define)
it always overwrites the previous version...

I mean: when I open the window from worksheet '001' I get for range
customcell1 ='001'!$A$1.
Then when I go to worksheet 002 and open the window I get for the range
customcell 1 ='001'!$A$1. If I change it to ='002'!$A$1, then it changes the
value of the range in the 001 worksheet too, while I'm certain you can have
ranges with the same name on different worksheets. In the Insert Name
Define window the name than appears as customcell1
'001', however I can't do it myself it appears...

Any help/hints would be appreciated,
Best regards,
Sven

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just an alternative:

Insert/Name/Define:
Name in workbook customcell1
Refers to: =!$A$1

Advantage: you can use customcell1 in every sheet in the workbook, and
it will refer to cell A1 on that sheet. No need to enter multiple
sheet-level names.

Disadvantage: you can't refer to the named range on another sheet -
e.g., =Sheet1!customcell1 will return #REF!.