Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Vlookup function 2003

Hi Guys,

My first post on the forums. I work for a small insurance company in the UK
using MS excel for stochastic modelling. My company has been office 2000(!)
for a ages, and have finally taken the 'plunge' and upgraded... to office
2003. So far so good - I like it :).

Sadly, since the upgrade, most of our models run significantly slower, as in
they take twice/three times as long to run. We are wondering if this could be
something to do with the implemenation of the vlookup function. The increased
slowness seems to be proportional to the number of vlookups we have in the
model - this is speculative, but there does look to be a pattern.

Does anyone know if the implemenation has changed Excel 2000 - 2003, or if
this could be a reason? Are there any other suggestions or has anyone come
across this before? Parts of the models would be hard (read very hard) to
implement without the vlookup'ing up - but it would be nice to know so we can
avoid where possible if this is the case.

Thanks,
Simon
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Simon,

I am not sure what level of lookup is used in your models however these
checks might help.

1. Set the calculation mode to manual from Tools--Options--Calcution
2. See if you have installed addins such as Analysis ToolPak, Solver Add-in.
You can check this from Tools--Addins. If not installed, please ask your IT
to install it for you, usually done from the MS Office (Excel) Set up program.
3. If your models are using any other addins programmed in Excel 2000, which
are not installed currently.
4. Check for any broken links or broken server/network addresses.

Hope this helps!!
--
Pranav Vaidya
VBA Developer

"Simon" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm not aware of any performance degradation of VLOOKUPs between 2000 and 2003.

For tons of information about Excel performance, with special chapter for VLOOKUP, visit Charles Williams' site:

www.decisionmodels.com

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten