Geoff

Default Vat input

Hi

I want to create a formula where if for example I have £100 in a column, the
next column to put the vat rate 1.175 and the next column to sum both these
figures giving the answer of £117.50.
The above I can do without any problems. The help I need is if the vat rate
is zero.
What formula do I use so that the figure put into the vat rate column
whether it be 1.175 or 0.00 excel will calculate. Excel will not multiply a
zero rate
Hope this makes sense
Thanks in advance

Niek Otten

Hi Geoff,

Excel will multiply a zero rate.
What happens in your case? What's your formula?

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Geoff" wrote in message
Hi

I want to create a formula where if for example I have £100 in a column,
the next column to put the vat rate 1.175 and the next column to sum both
these figures giving the answer of £117.50.
The above I can do without any problems. The help I need is if the vat
rate is zero.
What formula do I use so that the figure put into the vat rate column
whether it be 1.175 or 0.00 excel will calculate. Excel will not multiply
a zero rate
Hope this makes sense
Thanks in advance

Bob Phillips

The standard rate of vat is 17.5%, so when you want to calculate an amount
inclusive of the standard rate of VAT, you multiply by 117.5% or 100%+17.5%,
or 1.175. To calculate a zero rate add 0 to the whole percentage, that is
100%+0% or 1.

--

HTH

RP

"Geoff" wrote in message
Hi

I want to create a formula where if for example I have £100 in a column,
the next column to put the vat rate 1.175 and the next column to sum

both
these figures giving the answer of £117.50.
The above I can do without any problems. The help I need is if the vat
rate is zero.
What formula do I use so that the figure put into the vat rate column
whether it be 1.175 or 0.00 excel will calculate. Excel will not

multiply
a zero rate
Hope this makes sense
Thanks in advance

RagDyeR

The vat rate is *not* 1.175.
It's 0.175, or 17.5%, correct ?

So, it depends on what you want displayed in your columns as to what
formulas to use.
A1 = 100
B1 = vat rate (0.175) OR 0
C1 = Amount of vat (=A1*B1)
D1 = Total (=A1+C1)

Is this what you're talking about?

OR
Do you want to *not* have a separate column for the amount of the vat, but
go directly to a display of the total ?

In that case, eliminate the formula in D1, and replace the formula in C1
with:

=A1+B1*A1

--

HTH,