Peace of Christ be with you

Default Want to input one character to cause related string to display in.

I have a table with a long list of places (stores) in one column, the mileage
from my home in the 2nd column and the money $ amount I can claim as a
business expense for that # miles driven in the third column. I added to the
left of the first column an unique identifier for each - a single character
A through Z. I want to be able to input in another area of the spreadsheet
one of those identifiers , and have it pick up the corresponding $ amount and
display it in a cell next to the ID I input. Iwill be making dozens of inputs
and will sum the amounts at the bottom. How can I do this? Thanks for your
help.
Jason Morin

You can do this using the VLOOKUP function. To learn how
to use it, see:

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

I have a table with a long list of places (stores) in

one column, the mileage
from my home in the 2nd column and the money $ amount I

can claim as a
business expense for that # miles driven in the third

column. I added to the
left of the first column an unique identifier for each -

a single character
A through Z. I want to be able to input in another area

of the spreadsheet
one of those identifiers , and have it pick up the

corresponding $ amount and
display it in a cell next to the ID I input. Iwill be

making dozens of inputs
and will sum the amounts at the bottom. How can I do

this? Thanks for your
help.
.

Biff

Hi!

Are these unique letters in a separate column?

If so, assume they're in column A, A1:A26 and the $$
amounts are in column C, C1:C26.

Assume you enter the letter identifier "A" in cell H1:

=SUMIF(A1:A26,H1,C1:C26)

Biff

I have a table with a long list of places (stores) in one

column, the mileage
from my home in the 2nd column and the money $ amount I

can claim as a
business expense for that # miles driven in the third

column. I added to the
left of the first column an unique identifier for each -

a single character
A through Z. I want to be able to input in another area

of the spreadsheet
one of those identifiers , and have it pick up the

corresponding $ amount and
display it in a cell next to the ID I input. Iwill be

making dozens of inputs
and will sum the amounts at the bottom. How can I do

this? Thanks for your
help.
.

Peace of Christ be with you

Thanks Jason,
I was trying to figure out if the VLOOKUP would help but I didn't know how
to code it until I read the tutorial you sent me to. It works great. This is
the first time I've been in a usergroup and I'm amazed I got 2 guys helping
me out immediately! I thought it might take days to get someone to see my
question. This is great. Thanks.
"Peace of Christ be with you"

"Jason Morin" wrote:

[...]

Peace of Christ be with you

Thanks Biff,

This worked too. See my reply to Jason!.

"Peace of Christ be with you"

"Biff" wrote:

[...]

Peace of Christ be with you

Thanks Myrna,

That worked. Actually this is for a spreadsheet my wife uses to figure out
her expenses in connection with her business - she has a cattery and sells
Persian cats. This will save her some time entering the data!. Thanks again.

"Peace be with you"

"Myrna Larson" wrote:

Assuming that table is in A1:D26, with the single letter ID in column A, you
intend to type the single letter ID in K1 and get the dollars in L1, in L1 use
this formula: =VLOOKUP(K1,$A$1:$D$26,4,0)