Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Calculating time as a percentage

Hi

I need a bit of assistance with some maths! Sorry.

I can add together amounts of time on a sheet e.g. 01:23:00 + 05:28:00 =
06:51:00

But I want to find out how much of a percentage 01:23:00 is of 06:51:00 and
the same for 05:28:00.

And then create a pie chart to show this.

I just don't know where to start! I haven't a clue which formulas to use to
arrive at a percentage.

I don't expect you to show me how to do it all but some pointers in the
right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You don't need to add or calculate to create a pie chart with a
percentage - Create the Pie chart, right-click the pie and choose
Format/Data Series, then choose Percentage in the Labels pane. Click OK.

If you wish, you can then right-click the label, and choose Format
Label... and change the number of decimal places in the Number pane.

if you MUST calculate the percentage:

A1: 1:23:00
A2: 5:28:00

B1: =A1/SUM(A:A)
B2: =A2/SUM(A:A)

format B1:B2 as a percentage.

In article ,
"Ian R" wrote:

Hi

I need a bit of assistance with some maths! Sorry.

I can add together amounts of time on a sheet e.g. 01:23:00 + 05:28:00 =
06:51:00

But I want to find out how much of a percentage 01:23:00 is of 06:51:00 and
the same for 05:28:00.

And then create a pie chart to show this.

I just don't know where to start! I haven't a clue which formulas to use to
arrive at a percentage.

I don't expect you to show me how to do it all but some pointers in the
right direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your time.

Ian

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Times are basically numbers in Excel

In A1: 01:23:00
In B1: 05:28:00
In C1 you have: =SUM(A1:B1)
which returns: 06:51:00

Then in say, A2: =A1/$C1
with A2 formatted as percentage to taste
returns the required percentage of A1

Copy A2 to B2 for the percentage of B1
--
Max