Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.templates,microsoft.public.excel.printing

Default Help, Excel Files Being Wiped Out: Data Lost or Corrupted

When I try to open certain Excel files, I get this message:

Unable to read file. [OK]
Unable to read file. [OK]

Errors were detected ... MS was able to open the file by making the
repairs below. Save the file to make the repairs permanent.

Damage to the file so extensive that repairs were not possible. Excel
attempted to recover your formulaes and values, but data may have been
lost or corrupted.

The resulting file is devoid of any formatting, and some formulaes are
gone. It's really no use since it takes so much time to reconstruct
these files. I've been saving 4 different versions of the files that
I work on, in case this happens. It never happens when I'm working on
the file. When I close the file and try to come back in, that's when
it happens.

When I go to MS Excel support, the answer suggests that the problem
occurs when using Excel 2000 and 2003 to make changes to the same
Excel file. I don't think that's the case. The macro setting is
medium and higher. I have not had any problems with viruses.

One thing I do notice, however, is that these are pretty extensive
Excel files. They have imported sheets from other Excel files. When
I open, I chooose no when Excel asks me to update the links. Could
this be a problem? Should I be breaking the links? But I've been
operating like this for almost 5 years now and have never had this
problem. What could be going on here?

Help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.printing,microsoft.public.excel.templates,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
mmb mmb is offline

I can't help.. I am having the same problem. I've had it now for at least a
year, it only happens with well worn VERY extensive, formula laden Excel
files.

Can anyone out there help?

"Mister Softie " wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel.templates,microsoft.public.excel.printing

Just to clarify, I'm using MS Excel 2003. I don't work in Excel 2000.
The full message I get is:

Errors were detected in _______.xls, but Microsoft Excel was able to
open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to
make these repairs permanent.

Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible.
Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may
have been lost or corrupted.

In some files,

I've tried going to MS Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820712

I don't think this solution's applicable since I only work with 2003.

I've tried this as well but the repairs are not acceptable; I might as
well reconstruct:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.printing,microsoft.public.excel.templates,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

"mmb" wrote in message
I can't help.. I am having the same problem. I've had it now for at least
year, it only happens with well worn VERY extensive, formula laden Excel
files.

Can anyone out there help?

I have managed to recover some corrupt Word and Excel files by using Open
Office or Star Office to open and save the files.
Open Office is a free download. Star Office is available via google pack.

This technique is guaranteed but has dug me out of a hole several times. It
does not work with VBA.

Andy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.printing,microsoft.public.excel.templates,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel
mmb mmb is offline

I too am using 2003.

Has anyone else out there had this problem with 2003 solved with 2007? I've
been meaning to ask for an upgrade, but don't want to change versions without
a very good reason to do so. THIS I would consider a very good reason.

I'll have to try open office.. to see if I can save it.

For the last year, I've just made sure to save multiple versions, so I can
always go back once I have a corruption.. but there has got to be a better
way!

"Mister Softie " wrote:

Just to clarify, I'm using MS Excel 2003. I don't work in Excel 2000.
The full message I get is:

Errors were detected in _______.xls, but Microsoft Excel was able to
open the file by making the repairs listed below. Save the file to
make these repairs permanent.

Damage to the file was so extensive that repairs were not possible.
Excel attempted to recover your formulas and values, but some data may
have been lost or corrupted.

In some files,

I've tried going to MS Support:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/820712

I don't think this solution's applicable since I only work with 2003.

I've tried this as well but the repairs are not acceptable; I might as
well reconstruct:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.printing,microsoft.public.excel.templates,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

I have this same issue when someone is bringing data from a web-based program
that creates an Excel 2003 file. There is a TXT file that it creates but it
is just the same error message over again. As far as I can tell, checking
the boxes in the web based form creates a separate sheet in the new workbook
for each one. After clicking [OK], only the name of the first sheet (001) is
created.

Rich