Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mac Mac is offline

Default MIN with name_range?

I want the MIN function to work over a non-contiguous range, like R10C2,,
R10C10, R10C18, R10C24; can I use a name reange for this ( MIN(the
four_cells_range_name) )? So far it doesn't seem to work, however....
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mac,

Select the cells you want in your named range by holding down the Ctrl key
and selecting them. Then:-

Insert|name|Define

name the selected range and formula such as =min(Myrange) should work.

Mike

"Mac" wrote:

I want the MIN function to work over a non-contiguous range, like R10C2,,
R10C10, R10C18, R10C24; can I use a name reange for this ( MIN(the
four_cells_range_name) )? So far it doesn't seem to work, however....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Mac

With myData defined as
=Sheet1!$C$10,Sheet1!$J$10,Sheet1!$R$10,Sheet1!$X$ 10

=Min(myData) works fine for me

--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Mac" wrote in message
I want the MIN function to work over a non-contiguous range, like R10C2,,
R10C10, R10C18, R10C24; can I use a name reange for this ( MIN(the
four_cells_range_name) )? So far it doesn't seem to work, however....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mac Mac is offline

I thought it would work that way but it does not...in each of these four
cells there already is a MIN() formula (basically what I am doing is - I take
four data sets, then I want to MIN() the smallest number of each set, and
finally I want to MIN() the smallest number of these four); could this cause
a problem? the current MIN(range_name) shows 0, not even an error hint so it
seems to me it does not take the range_name parameter into account at all....

"Mac" wrote:

I want the MIN function to work over a non-contiguous range, like R10C2,,
R10C10, R10C18, R10C24; can I use a name reange for this ( MIN(the
four_cells_range_name) )? So far it doesn't seem to work, however....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mac Mac is offline

I just tested it with SUM(range_name) and it gives me the correct result,
MIN(range_name) still gives me a 0..now that's strange....

"Mac" wrote:

I want the MIN function to work over a non-contiguous range, like R10C2,,
R10C10, R10C18, R10C24; can I use a name reange for this ( MIN(the
four_cells_range_name) )? So far it doesn't seem to work, however....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mac Mac is offline

STUPID ME!!! I did not take into account some empty cells which resulted in
zero at the first level of MIN's and caused the final MIN to evaluate as
zero, which of course IS the correct result in that case! :-) Thank you guys,
the name_range works fine for me!.-)

"Mac" wrote:

I want the MIN function to work over a non-contiguous range, like R10C2,,
R10C10, R10C18, R10C24; can I use a name reange for this ( MIN(the
four_cells_range_name) )? So far it doesn't seem to work, however....

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Mac,

There are no issues taking the min of a pair (or more) ofcells that have a
min formuls in and in doesn't matter if you uses addresses or named ranges.

Min will return zero (0) if none of the arguments are numbers

Mike