Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default PROBLEM WITH INDIRECT & VLOOKUP FORMULA

Hi, I hope someone can help me

I have the following formula and as I step through it, I can't see any
problem with it, however it keeps returning an error.

Rolls!A4 contains the following formula

=INDIRECT((VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE))&"!")&A5

What I am trying to achieve:
I have 10 worksheets with a list of students names on each. the Vlookup
formula refers to an index [D41:F50] containing the following information:
className Teacher sheet
Eg. 9ISTX Mrs Duffy 1

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards
tanya
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try moving the closed bracket to the end of the formula like so:

=INDIRECT((VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE))&"!A5")

I assume in your example that you want to get data from 1!A5

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Oct 11, 11:29 am, Tanya wrote:
Hi, I hope someone can help me

I have the following formula and as I step through it, I can't see any
problem with it, however it keeps returning an error.

Rolls!A4 contains the following formula

=INDIRECT((VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE))&"!")&A5

What I am trying to achieve:
I have 10 worksheets with a list of students names on each. the Vlookup
formula refers to an index [D41:F50] containing the following information:
className Teacher sheet
Eg. 9ISTX Mrs Duffy 1

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards
tanya

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you want to refer to cell A5 of the chosen sheet? Then:

=INDIRECT((VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE))&"!A5"

The issue here is what does A5 contain. It should contain a cell
address like B1, AF13 etc.

Is there a chance that your sheet names have space? If so:

=INDIRECT("'"&VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE)&"'!")&A5

Notice the extra single quotes.

The solution might be in a combination of the two suggestions.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Oct 11, 1:29 pm, Tanya wrote:
Hi, I hope someone can help me

I have the following formula and as I step through it, I can't see any
problem with it, however it keeps returning an error.

Rolls!A4 contains the following formula

=INDIRECT((VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE))&"!")&A5

What I am trying to achieve:
I have 10 worksheets with a list of students names on each. the Vlookup
formula refers to an index [D41:F50] containing the following information:
className Teacher sheet
Eg. 9ISTX Mrs Duffy 1

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards
tanya

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

One guess ..

Try it as:
=INDIRECT("'"&VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE)&"'!A5")
--
Max
Singapore
"Tanya" wrote:
Hi, I hope someone can help me

I have the following formula and as I step through it, I can't see any
problem with it, however it keeps returning an error.

Rolls!A4 contains the following formula

=INDIRECT((VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE))&"!")&A5

What I am trying to achieve:
I have 10 worksheets with a list of students names on each. the Vlookup
formula refers to an index [D41:F50] containing the following information:
className Teacher sheet
Eg. 9ISTX Mrs Duffy 1

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards
tanya

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you very much, it worked a treat and saved me a lot of time.

Regards
Tanya

"Max" wrote:

One guess ..

Try it as:
"Tanya" wrote:
Hi, I hope someone can help me

I have the following formula and as I step through it, I can't see any
problem with it, however it keeps returning an error.

Rolls!A4 contains the following formula

=INDIRECT((VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE))&"!")&A5

What I am trying to achieve:
I have 10 worksheets with a list of students names on each. the Vlookup
formula refers to an index [D41:F50] containing the following information:
className Teacher sheet
Eg. 9ISTX Mrs Duffy 1

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards
tanya

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

welcome, good to hear that.
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---
"Tanya" wrote in message
Thank you, it works well.

Regards
Tanya

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Sorry, Pete. Posted to the wrong branch
--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You're welcome, Tanya - thanks for feeding back (to us all).

Pete

On Oct 11, 1:01 pm, Tanya wrote:
Thank you, it works well.

Regards
Tanya

On Oct 11, 11:29 am, Tanya wrote:
Hi, I hope someone can help me

I have the following formula and as I step through it, I can't see any
problem with it, however it keeps returning an error.

Rolls!A4 contains the following formula

=INDIRECT((VLOOKUP(B2,D41:F50,3,TRUE))&"!")&A5

What I am trying to achieve:
I have 10 worksheets with a list of students names on each. the Vlookup
formula refers to an index [D41:F50] containing the following information:
className Teacher sheet
Eg. 9ISTX Mrs Duffy 1

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Regards