Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Rankings

If I had a list of employees that have certain metrics and each of these
metrics are ranked, how could I identify each employee's biggest are of
opportunity?

ex.
employee Qual Timely Abs Comm
a 6 9 12 3
b 12 5 2 5
c 2 12 7
10

employee b needs improvement most in Qual
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

I assume you are trying to return the highest value in each column so.
Copy your 4 headings to somewhere else on the worksheet and under Qual enter
the formula shown

Qual Time Abs Comm
=INDEX($A$2:$A$4,MATCH(MAX(B2:B4),B2:B4,0))

Drag right and you should get the result you require.

Mike

"THFish" wrote:

If I had a list of employees that have certain metrics and each of these
metrics are ranked, how could I identify each employee's biggest are of
opportunity?

ex.
employee Qual Timely Abs Comm
a 6 9 12 3
b 12 5 2 5
c 2 12 7
10

employee b needs improvement most in Qual

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The display that I am trying to achieve is:

employee area most needing improvement
a Abs
b Qual
c Timely

I don't think I was making my request clear.
Any suggestions? I am somewhat new at this.

"THFish" wrote:

If I had a list of employees that have certain metrics and each of these
metrics are ranked, how could I identify each employee's biggest are of
opportunity?

ex.
employee Qual Timely Abs Comm
a 6 9 12 3
b 12 5 2 5
c 2 12 7
10

employee b needs improvement most in Qual

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Assuming employee 'a' is in row 2 with the employee names in column A, put
this a blank cell in the same row...

=LOOKUP(MAX(B2:E2),B2:E2,$B$1:$E$1)

and copy down.

Rick

"THFish" wrote:

If I had a list of employees that have certain metrics and each of
these
metrics are ranked, how could I identify each employee's biggest are of
opportunity?

ex.
employee Qual Timely Abs Comm
a 6 9 12
3
b 12 5 2
5
c 2 12 7
10

employee b needs improvement most in Qual

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

LOOKUP requires the lookup_vector be sorted ascending. This returns an
incorrect result on row 3.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"THFish" wrote:

If I had a list of employees that have certain metrics and each of
these
metrics are ranked, how could I identify each employee's biggest are
of
opportunity?

ex.
employee Qual Timely Abs Comm
a 6 9 12 3
b 12 5 2 5
c 2 12 7
10

employee b needs improvement most in Qual

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As Biff pointed out, my first formula is flawed. Try this one instead...

=INDEX($A$1:$E$1,1,MATCH(MAX(B2:E2),A2:E2,0))

It assumes the headers are in the first row starting in column A (for the
"employee"), and the data starts in the second row.

Rick

"THFish" wrote:

If I had a list of employees that have certain metrics and each of
these
metrics are ranked, how could I identify each employee's biggest are of
opportunity?

ex.
employee Qual Timely Abs Comm
a 6 9 12
3
b 12 5 2
5
c 2 12 7
10

employee b needs improvement most in Qual

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Whoops! I missed the mis-reference when I checked test my formula initially.
Thanks for catching that. I posted a corrected formula (a variation on the
INDEX formula that Mike posted), but it appears that the OP found an
alternate solution at about the same time I posted my corrected formula.

Rick