Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Rankings

LOOKUP requires the lookup_vector be sorted ascending. This returns an
incorrect result on row 3.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...
Assuming employee 'a' is in row 2 with the employee names in column A, put
this a blank cell in the same row...

=LOOKUP(MAX(B2:E2),B2:E2,$B$1:$E$1)

and copy down.

Rick

"THFish" wrote in message
The display that I am trying to achieve is:

employee area most needing improvement
a Abs
b Qual
c Timely

I don't think I was making my request clear.
Any suggestions? I am somewhat new at this.

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi,

I assume you are trying to return the highest value in each column so.
Copy your 4 headings to somewhere else on the worksheet and under Qual
enter
the formula shown

Qual Time Abs Comm
=INDEX($A$2:$A$4,MATCH(MAX(B2:B4),B2:B4,0))

Drag right and you should get the result you require.

Mike

"THFish" wrote:

If I had a list of employees that have certain metrics and each of
these
metrics are ranked, how could I identify each employee's biggest are
of
opportunity?

ex.
employee Qual Timely Abs Comm
a 6 9 12 3
b 12 5 2 5
c 2 12 7
10

employee b needs improvement most in Qual