Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula Is Too Long

I have an external database that allows me to export to Excel.
When I do so, it also export these html tags into Excel (and there are many).

Some Example Tags:

I highlight the column where these tags are at -
I do an Edit Find
In the Find Field I type in the tag: <p
And I Replace with: (this is left blank)
A popup tells me "Formula Is Too Long"

Sometimes it would eliminate the tags from the first few rows, but never the
entire column.
How can I eliminate these multiple tags from the cells?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Saved from a previous post:

You can use a macro to do the change:

Option Explicit
Sub testme01()

Dim FoundCell As Range
Dim ConstCells As Range
Dim BeforeStr As String
Dim AfterStr As String

BeforeStr = "$$$$$"
AfterStr = " " 'or chr(10) 'for alt-enter

With ActiveSheet
Set ConstCells = Nothing
On Error Resume Next
Set ConstCells = .Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants, _
xlTextValues)
On Error GoTo 0

If ConstCells Is Nothing Then
MsgBox "Select some cells in the used range"
Exit Sub
End If

With ConstCells
'get as many as we can in one step
.Replace what:=BeforeStr, Replacement:=AfterStr, _
lookat:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows

Do
Set FoundCell = .Cells.Find(what:=BeforeStr, _
after:=.Cells(1), _
LookIn:=xlValues, _
lookat:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
searchdirection:=xlNext, _
MatchCase:=False)

If FoundCell Is Nothing Then
'done, get out!
Exit Do
End If
FoundCell.Value _
= Replace(FoundCell.Value, BeforeStr, AfterStr)
Loop
End With
End With
End Sub

If you're using xl97, change that Replace() to application.substitute()

Ps. Try it against a copy of your data--just in case!

--

Dave Peterson