Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default add 2 months and a variable number of days to a date

I am trying to calculate a health benefits schedule. I would like to know
the month an employee becomes eligible for health benefits. An employee is
eligible on the first day of the month following 2 months of employment.
For example, if an employee is hired anytime during the month of September,
he would be eligible for benefits on December 1. If he is hired in October,
he would not be eligible until January 1 of the next year.
My hire date is in MM/DD/YY format. Does anyone know how to calculate the
"eligible for benefits" date?
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

If I understand your description, with date in A1:
=DATE(YEAR(A1),MONTH(A1)+3,1)

If one is hired the 1st then I'm not sure what you want. Post back if wrong
result.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Tim Nealon" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate a health benefits schedule. I would like to know
the month an employee becomes eligible for health benefits. An employee
is
eligible on the first day of the month following 2 months of employment.
For example, if an employee is hired anytime during the month of
September,
he would be eligible for benefits on December 1. If he is hired in
October,
he would not be eligible until January 1 of the next year.
My hire date is in MM/DD/YY format. Does anyone know how to calculate the
"eligible for benefits" date?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hy,

this are dates whis I put in column A:

20.09.2007

01.04.2007

15.11.2007

10.01.2007

11.04.2007

25.12.2007

I use dd.MM.yyyy format (it regular format in my country).

In column B I put next formula:

=VALUE(IF(MONTH(A1)<11;IF(MONTH(A1)+2<=12;"01."&MO NTH(A1)+2&"."&YEAR(A1);"01."&MONTH(A1)+2&"."&YEAR( A1)+1);IF(MONTH(A1)=11;"01."&"01"&"."&YEAR(A1)+1;" 01."&"02"&"."&YEAR(A1)+1)))

Please try it and tell me if you understand. If not I'll try to translate in
your MM/DD/YY form.

Bye,

sasa

"Tim Nealon" wrote in message
I am trying to calculate a health benefits schedule. I would like to know
the month an employee becomes eligible for health benefits. An employee
is
eligible on the first day of the month following 2 months of employment.
For example, if an employee is hired anytime during the month of
September,
he would be eligible for benefits on December 1. If he is hired in
October,
he would not be eligible until January 1 of the next year.
My hire date is in MM/DD/YY format. Does anyone know how to calculate the
"eligible for benefits" date?
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

For example, if an employee is hired anytime during the month of
September, he would be eligible for benefits on December 1.

Just to be clear... is December 1st the "benefits day" even if the start
date is September 1st?

Rick