Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default walking menu

Is there a way in Excel when you are using data entry from a drop down list
to start typing and have the menu show the list options, instead of having to
scroll through EVERYTHING? For example, if I had a list with names on it, can
I start typing "gram" and have the menu show the first entry with "g", and
then go to the next entry with "gr", etc. etc
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the dropdown was created from DataValidationList

DV list dropdown has no autocomplete feature.

You will have to use a ComboBox to achieve this using VBA

See Debra's Contextures site for how-to.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:38:01 -0700, Grams
wrote:

Is there a way in Excel when you are using data entry from a drop down list
to start typing and have the menu show the list options, instead of having to
scroll through EVERYTHING? For example, if I had a list with names on it, can
I start typing "gram" and have the menu show the first entry with "g", and
then go to the next entry with "gr", etc. etc
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I went to the site you referenced and, Oh MY!...I found a better way to do
it. I used the validation method to limit the list to only what matched the
criteria I wanted. Saves a ton of time.
THIS IS A GREAT SITE....I bookmarked it for future reference. The
instructions are so easy to follow and the download samples are awesome!
THANK YOU SO MUCH

wrote:

Is there a way in Excel when you are using data entry from a drop down list
to start typing and have the menu show the list options, instead of having to
scroll through EVERYTHING? For example, if I had a list with names on it, can
I start typing "gram" and have the menu show the first entry with "g", and
then go to the next entry with "gr", etc. etc
thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you for the feedback.

Debra will be pleased to see your glowing critique of her site.

We all use it regularly.

Gord