Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default I need help - search formula

This is what I want to do;

Type in a name and have it bring up a phone number for me. I know that it is
possible, I did it about five (5) years ago, but for the love of me I can't
remember how to do it.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sep 28, 9:49 am, Jamie wrote:
This is what I want to do;

Type in a name and have it bring up a phone number for me. I know that it is
possible, I did it about five (5) years ago, but for the love of me I can't
remember how to do it.

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it.

Is your data containing the names and phone numbers stored in another
sheet? If si, use a VLOOKUP formula. Say in Sheet2 Column A contains
the name and Column B contains the phone number. You would use the
formula below to look up the phone number for the name in A1.
=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Okay I am just button happy today.

My next question are these;
Is there a way to make the VLookup less stringent on "vector"? For instance,
I want to find the number for Gyuran, but I don't know how to spell it so I
want to type in Gy.

The other one is this;
Is there a way for it to list all the results?