Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Setting formatting for 2 places

I have a worksheet with 3 columns. Some numbers are like. 2450.00. Some are
7.47 and some are 125.69. I have the columns formatted for 2 places. Is there
anyway to simply enter a number in a specific column and not have to enter
the decimal while entering the number and have it automatically make it 2
decimal places.

Example when I enter 2450 it formats the number 2450.00 which is perfect -
that is what I want it to do. But, if I enter 7.47 I have to enter the
decimal or else it formats 747.00. Is there anyway to make that column format
7.47?
Jannie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

There is no way to do this in just one column
You can have the whole worksheet behave that way with Tools|Options; open
the Edit tab and check the Fixed Decimals box and specify 2 decimal places
You could do this; enter your values and then uncheck the box.

or if it is a one-off affair:
enter the numbers with out decimals
type 100 in an empty cell
copy the cell
select the numbers to be 'fixed'; use Edit Paste Special-specify Divide
now you can delete the 100

best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Jannie" wrote in message
I have a worksheet with 3 columns. Some numbers are like. 2450.00. Some are
7.47 and some are 125.69. I have the columns formatted for 2 places. Is
there
anyway to simply enter a number in a specific column and not have to enter
the decimal while entering the number and have it automatically make it 2
decimal places.

Example when I enter 2450 it formats the number 2450.00 which is perfect -
that is what I want it to do. But, if I enter 7.47 I have to enter the
decimal or else it formats 747.00. Is there anyway to make that column
format
7.47?
Jannie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Just a precaution to keep in mind:
Bob's post is the only ways I can think of as well. However, If you
use the Tools--Options methied, for numbers such as 2450, you will
need to enter 245000 or it will enter 24.50. If you go with the Paste
Special--Divide method, it will divide ALL selected cells by 100,
including the 2450 if it is selected, making it 24.50.